E1505 Bios Help+Bios Editing (Vid Card Project)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by CompMod, Apr 14, 2010.

1. CompMod

CompMod MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    I originally posted this in the mobile part of this forum, but thought this could apply to desktops as well. I think their is only 3 ways to attack this problem and I'd appreciate any constructive feedback you guys might have

Current system is Dell E1505
    T7200 processor
    4 gb ddr2 6400 (not installed yet, have just 2gb in their this moment)
    320gb Hard Drive
    WSXGA+ screen
    ATI X1400 video card (8600m GT trying to get it up and running)

As you can see this laptop is still a very good system and I'd like to get it back up and running.

A) Flash bios with the inspiron 1520 which replaced my laptop and supported this video card. The flaw to this is that the MB chipsets are different 945 vs 965. They share lots of similarities though.

B) Flash bios with non dell bios and use instead intels 945 bios. This hyperthetically would allow me to change cpu specs and should allow driver support. Downside of this would be for sure that my OS would no longer be valid and I'd need to either put Win 7 on it or put a new vista cd key on. Theirs also potential for the bios not to take and I'd have to buy a new bios chip and solder it on my MB since its soldered on. Its only an 8 pin chip so I shouldn't have to much of an issue with this.

C) Find a utility that can read Dell Bios's and find whats different in the Dell Insiron 1520 and copy that section to my E1505 bios. THen flash the bios and hopefully it'd work.

Anyone know of a bios utility that I can use to edit the MB bios?

Pics Added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CompMod

CompMod MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight, as I think option C might be the only possible way to get this up and running.

3. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Don't use standard nvidia instaler.
    even vendor id and device id is matching is not working because of subsys or other details.
    Nvidia site if I remember right recomend for notebook chipset to search drivers from notebook manufacturer.
    Search on dell for drivers or use modified installer.

4. CompMod

CompMod MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    I tried updating the driver manually by going under device manager and clicking update driver. It says, "THE BEST DRIVER SOFTWARE FOR YOUR DEVICE IS ALREADY INSTALLED". That's when I try to install the driver under Standard VGA Graphic Adapter.

I tried with Nvidia's 8 series mobile card drivers along with the inspiron 1520 and xps m1530 drivers which use this same video card.

I think bios editing is the only way to get this to work

5. CompMod

CompMod MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    I think I'm on to something. So I've been doing a bunch of google searching and came upon a program that can read Pheonix Bios.

I took a snapshot of my stock ATI X1400 VGA card (in the laptop) and the picture shows it below, then I took a picture of the 8600m gt in the laptop as well. Tonight or tomorrow I'll be heading over to my sisters place to install the software and take a snapshot of her inspiron 1720 (which is using the same 8600m gt card).

ATI X1400 Pic

[​IMG]

Nvidia 8600m GT Pic

[​IMG]

Sisters 8600m GT Pic (soon to come)