E220 huawei usb modem

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by REDS, Jul 7, 2009.

1. REDS

REDS MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2009
    Hi

The E220 modem disconnects intermittenly on the lap . Am running XP and service pack 2 installed. Also have NOD32. Took it to the service provider and they say a virus which the antivirus nor spyware can pick up. Any solutions to sort this out forever, besides a notebook reformat.

Any tangible help welcome. Thanks

2. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    When you say "disconnect" do you mean it is losing the phone connection, or it is making the actual windows hardware connect/disconnect noise like if you are physically plugging in/unplugging some usb device?

If it is doing the usb connect/disconnect noise, and you feel comfortable opening the laptop, a lot of these modems just sort of press into a "socket" which the modem could be falling out of or making intermittent contact to. Most fortunately use screws to prevent this, but not always. Did the laptop get bumped hard or dropped before this started happening?

If it is just dropping calls, then try other antivirus programs. Best thing is if you have a USB to IDE/Sata converter, to remove the drive and scan it with a separate system. (Don't execute any programs/open anything on that drive on the other host computer or you might x-fer whatever virus/rootkit on that drive to the other system!) If not, then a boot cd with antivirus can do the trick. They key is to try and scan that drive without any operating systems being "active" and running on it. If still no AV programs find anything then you might have a rootkit. Some are detected by AV programs, a lot of them are not. If so, it's probably easier to download Dukes Boot And Nuke (DBAN) and totally wipe the drive and reload.

That's my 79 cents, maybe others will chime in too.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ REDS, if you have a friend near by try your modem on there machine or if you have another machine try it on that first that rules out hardware:) then go from there:)

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Impossible to say given what you have posted but if you do a search you will note that the E220 is notorious for dropping connections or interrupting DLs.

You might look at some of the many "solutions" posted in case something applies.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. REDS

REDS MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2009
    It's not the modem as it work well on my home PC,NEVER disconnecting. It's only on my laptop that it's losing the PHONE connection.

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Tangible help issues from tangible details

OK . . . if you think the modem's functionality is not the issue, then the answer lies in your laptop hardware and/or software configuration. Could be as simple as a funky USB port but, then again, you did not provide us any details on what you did to TS the issue relative to the laptop.

Viruses/malware? Does not even make it to my list of possibilities. But, if you insist, restore your clean image file. Don't have one? Then reformat the HDD and reinstall the OS. Still funky - not viruses.

And, is this a new issue whereas the modem worked OK for a time and, did you make any hard- or software changes and then notice the issue and . . . ?

Sorry I could not assist you further given the data you provided.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...