EagleGet Downloader

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ian82, Sep 21, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Been using this for a few weeks now, and it's very good. Just as good as Internet Download Manager which is not free.
    The only problem I've come across with this, is that it doesn't like Netflix out of the box.
    It will stop netflix from loading unless you block a bunch of netflix' IP addresses.
    Otherwise, it's a great free app that does what it says on the tin.

3. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #4 Dark Knight, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Listen guys, these types of programs have been around since the dawn of the internet and they all claim to do the same thing. While they serve a purpose, they do not do what they claim and that is to "speed up your downloads".
    Your download speed is what it is, you cannot make it any faster as it is controlled by your ISP.

So basically all Eagle get is, just a downloader, it keeps all your downloads in one area where you can watch them ...... hmmmm, you can do that with your browser now can't you? :confused:

The ONLY use I can see for Eagle get is that if you download alot from sites like Rapidshare or Depositfiles and such, but if you visit their site the pages that pertain to those types of sites come up conveniently with a 404 error page not found. Which means that it probably does not work on such sites.

So, the bottom line is that this is just another piece of software who's only purpose is to take up system resources on your system that you really don't need because essentially ..... you already have a download manager .... in your browser. I bet if you do a comparison test between Eagle get and your browser, you will see that there is really no increase in download speed.

5. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    #5 Weedy, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Beg to disagree...

I have tested it myself. Some websites limit a single connection speed to say, 600Kb/s. Download managers like Eagleget and IDM open multiple connections and download the parts separately. Each connection will get the server's limit of 600Kb/s per connection, so whatever I'm downloading will go at my full connection speed, roughly 2Mb/s (Bytes not bits).

EDIT : Just done a test with screenshots...

First is just regular opera
    Opera download speed.PNG

Second is with Eagleget.
    Eagleget speed.PNG

Same download from Winworldpc.com

6. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Exactly!

If you download a large file from a big site such as Microsoft for example, Download Managers will not magically increase your speed since you already are downloading at full speed and the site has the bandwidth to support it.

But let's say you are downloading a large file from a small site, these kind of sites usually cap the download speeds per user, so let's say a site caps the download speed @ 120 kbps per user, here is where a download manager will boost your speed, it will make several connections 8 or even 16 at a time to let the site thinking each connection is a different computer, it makes the huge file download split into small parts and once done, it combines them together and gives you the final outcome but the benefit is, since it combined all those connections, you get a super fast speed

7. Trustdee

Trustdee MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Internet download manager still remains the best, free or paid :hummer:

8. Danue

Danue Guest

I tried this, but the resource usage is higher than IDM.

9. Zimmster

Zimmster MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2013
    IDM is NOT the best. Good but not the best!

you say.
    Actually Internet Download Manager was never "THE BEST" because it fails on many basic features poorly implemented or missing. It was a great tool in the past but now is seriously outdated.

1.Downloading big files takes longer than with other tools to complete. While it's download speed is truly the fastest, no doubt about it, After downloading is finished , the rebuilding time of more than one large files at one time is unacceptablly long for a paid software. FDM,Jdownloader, the now infamous Orbit, so are many others, do the downloading "Torrent style" Allocate drive space and organize data while downloading. So the moment the last bit of information is on your drive the file is compiled and ready for use.
    2.No shorcuts for adding multiple files at once from the clipboard. you need to click four times to start a download of this type.
    3. Again to limit the download speed you need at least 3 clicks. Also you have only speed limit per file. No posibility lo limit the bandwidth generaly, regardless of how many paralel file you download at once.
    4.The download order of files is impsible to be organized from Main Window.
    5. The number of paralel downloads takes time and alot of clicks to change.
    6. No history of downloaded files or deleted files from cue. Lets say you accidentally delete a link from the list. You now have to search again with the broser for it.

And i can continue. It is a good download manager, it has alot of features that excels on, but is not THE BEST out there. There is no program that has it all. FDM could be beter, but its browser integration is not as capable as IDM's. and so on. Everything is subjective, Something can be the best for you if it covers all your needs. But if you look closer there is allways something better on some aspects.