Easiest motherboard swap ever.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Dolorous Edd, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I just swapped my motherboard for a new one. Pretty damned impressed with the way Windows 8 handled the swap. Turned it on, made adjustments in the bios, restarted and the computer booted to my SSD. Windows displayed a message "Configuring Hardware" for about 4-5 minutes, booted into windows and windows even preserved my drive lettering assignments.

Took 20 minutes to install the board, 10 to configure the bios and perform the first boot, 5 minutes to activate by phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    My 2 computers at home having the exact same Mainboard, but CPU,Memory and Graphic Card. I could just take the System HDD out of one and take in the other Computer and run without the need of re-activation. Windows 8 react in that same as Windows 7 or Vista in the past.

Would be interesting to know if other users having the same experiences if using the same MB a replacement for the old MB.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Windows 7 for me with a new (different board) was hit or miss as to if would even make it to windows. More often than not the install ended up being borked.

Windows 8 handled it all by itself. Didn't have to delete any devices. Just booted and it worked.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's true for Windows 7 in case that you swap the MB with and different Model and Brand. If using the same Brand but Model, in many occasions it work but all of them. And a new activation was need as well.

What I was mean in my post above, were that in case of using the same MB, Model and Brand, I wasn't need to reactivate, the prior activation was just working. The MB's I use at home are ASRock 990 FX Professional Fatl1ty.

5. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I think this is a feature that comes with "Windows 8 To Go" (which also can be created with "Windows 8 Pro" - not only "Windows 8 Enterprise"). When you plug in the "Windows 8 To Go" drive to an other PC or notebook the system must also ignore / forget / disable the unnecessary device driver.