easy to enable Office 16 Black Theme but hard to keep - need help

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by kimvn, Jul 2, 2016.

1. kimvn

kimvn MDL Junior Member

Nov 2, 2009
  2. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Good question

3. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Why don't you change the theme in the UI. Yes I know it's deeply nested in the options but it seems that there are more steps to change the theme-settings than simply edit a key in the registry. You know evene MS want's to abondon settings in the registry.

4. kimvn

kimvn MDL Junior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I tried install Office 365 ProPlus > actived Black Theme > Uninstall Office 365 by default Windows Uninstaller > Install Office 2016 ProPlus and Black Theme still available but Office Theme name is blank. Unstill I change Office Theme, I lost Black Theme again.

5. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    It's not in the UI options. How would you change the UI settings?

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #7 dhjohns, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This works every time, but needs to be customized for each Office application you open, for example Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. I have a folder on my C drive called Customizations so these files are written for that specific folder. You would need to change the path if you put these three files in a different folder. Here are the three files 1) blacktheme.cmd
    Code:
    regedit.exe /S C:\Customizations\OfficeBlackTheme\blacktheme.reg"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE"
    2)blacktheme.reg
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common]
    "UI Theme"=dword:00000004
    "PendingUITheme"=-
    3)blacktheme.vbs
    Code:
    Dim WinScriptHost
    Set WinScriptHost = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WinScriptHost.Run Chr(34) & "C:\Customizations\OfficeBlackTheme\blacktheme.cmd" & Chr(34), 0
    Set WinScriptHost = Nothing
    Change the path of the shortcut in each program to go to the blacktheme.vbs, and you are good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...