EasyBCD 2.1

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Nawzil, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    #1 Nawzil, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Yes, but its ok if you install in on Windows 7 only. Don't have to install on both 7 & 8.

3. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Updated to version 2.1.1 released on October 31, 2011.

4. Archetype

Archetype MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2011
    #4 Archetype, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Good tool but be careful with that. It is not for joke or playing with it. This tool was the reason at past , that i did full format (Win7+Ubuntu+LinMint) because my experimental mind didn't live me alone. :p
    At the end i couldn't access to any of my O.S's . If (and i hope not) you will have similar problems the solution is to rewrite the MBR (i didn't knew that when i needed) . So , because the Easy BCD writes on the MBR , you must rewrite it.
    How ?
    Simple . Insert the installation disk and choose the repair option so you will have access to the system recovery window.Then choose command prompt and write the next commands :
    Code:
        bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
        c:
        cd boot
        attrib bcd -s -h -r
        ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
        bootrec /RebuildBcd
    That's from MS site.
    The alternate is when you connect to boot directory run this
    Code:
    bootsect /nt60 ALL
    Remember to unplug all usb devices ( I learned this from Daz)

5. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    EasyBCD can write the MBR, but its main purpose is editing the BCD (boot configuration store)...which is just a file, namely C:\boot\BCD (no extension).

Don't confuse that with the MBR which is just the first physical sector on each disk (containing bootstrap code to read the PBR or partition boot record of the active partition - which then chainloads bootmgr which in turn reads the BCD and presents a boot menu or just starts Windows. Phew).

6. Sameer Ahmed Khan

Sameer Ahmed Khan MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2011
    Thanks for the info, it would really help me a lot!

7. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    You are welcome.

8. Superman55

Superman55 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2011
    Thank you very much for this useful software.

9. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    You are welcome.

10. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    NAWZIL: i see this software and tha is exactly what i need because i have 3 OS in 3 different partitions on one HD. Problem is that from each OS, another OS has a different letter. in XP i look MY COMPUTER XP is ""C"" in 7 ULTIMA, Ultima is partition ""C"" and the rest mix the letters for DVD drive and an external HD. well my question is: in what partition should i install BCD. second: what i do if the computer don't let my access the boot selector to choose one OS. The default is 7 ULTIMA, if i don't touch the arrows. ? is no way to have i CD or DVD to enter a back up and restore my machine. or maybe put BCD in CD. third question: if i unplug all USB how i use mouse and keyboard, they are USB. Please put some light on this.

11. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    You can install BCD on any of those partitions.

I don't understand second and third question.

12. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    maybe is not clear. my question is: if after download EASY BCD in xp and change de letters for each driver, all 3 partitions will have the letters i set in XP or i have to go one by one and change letters in each partition to set all in same order. right now they show different. if i open XP; xp is ''drive C'' if i open windows 7 ultima this one is drive ""C"' and another drives too, with the same problem. before i download EASY i want make sure how i return to the original set up i have now. just in case. maybe you can explain me more. please.

13. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    You don't have to change the drive letters. The current loaded OS must be in drive C. That's why when you boot Windows 7, Windows 7 partition is C and Windows XP partition is another letter. And when you boot Windows XP, Windows XP partition is C and Windows 7 partition is another letter.
    I hope you understand now.

14. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I understand what you say. I thought that XP always be the same letter, and the same with each other OS. one last question if i change a letter from XP, that change is done in all OS, or only at XP. Hope you understand my question. and let me tell you this forum is the best. from the beginning people give me very good advice and i fix many problems with my PC. congratulations to MDL and all of you.

15. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    If you change a drive letter in XP, that change is done only in Windows XP. Drive letters in other OS's remain unchanged.

Yes, you are right. MDL is the best forum I've ever seen. Thank you.