EasyBCD stopped win 8 from booting in dual boot 7 & 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by frank117, Mar 27, 2013.

1. frank117

frank117 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    I am running Win 7 Ult. 64 bit. I installed win 8 Enterprise on another partition. Unfortunately it did not create a boot menu. I installed Easy BCD 2.2 and created a boot menu for Win 7 and Win 8. Now Win 8 will not boot, gives a message that unsigned file is corrupted or not digitally signed. Names winload.exe as offending file. I set boot to run unsigned drivers in Easy BCD for win 8 but that did not fix it. Message states to insert DVD and use Repair your computer to fix it. If I do that with the Win 8 DVD will it screw up my Win 7 installation or not be able to boot into Win 7 by repairing with the Win 8 dvd. I am only trying Win 8 to see what it's like and do not want to mess up Win 7. Thanks for any help.

2. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    This was my experience:

1. EasyBCD works in win8 but buggy, VistaBootPro simply didn't launch, both works flawlessly in win7.

2. I had first installed win8, then win7, afterwards XP, then put in the win8 install DVD, goto repair PC->command prompt -> enter:
    Bootrec /fixboot
    Bootrec /fixMBR
    exit
    - then the bootmenu came back with the 3 OS's choice, XP was shown as "older version of windows"

Hope it helps. :D

3. frank117

frank117 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    Thank you for your help. Tried repair from DVD for win 8 as you instructed. No luck, same message comes up: corrupted or not signed file. Win 7 boots fine when picked from menu. I have 3 hard drives installed in this computer. I've noticed in computer mgmt. that the drive with Win7 & 8 on it is listed as drive 2. The 2 other hard drives are listed as 0 & 1. When I look at the drive listed as 0 in Win 7 I now see boot files that were not there before. Also when I was looking at the drives in Win 8 right after install the drive that is listed as drive 0 in Win 7 did not show up in My Computer. Would this be my problem? I assume the drives are listed by which connection on the motherboard they are connected to. I just connected them to the easiest place to get to when I put the computer together. Again thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

4. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Maybe you can try the win8 DVD's auto repair, what it actually does is replace all the system files and it would take a while to finish.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    you might give this a try.... Microsoft says it is the FIX when all else fails to fix Windows 8 Boot section.

When you find that Windows 8 fails to boot and using Automatic Repair does not bring out any fix or it fails too. If this is the case, you need to either Refresh your PC or Reset your PC.

To achieve this, firstly you need to select Advanced options > Troubleshoot > Reset or Refresh. What’s next if you find out that neither Automatic repair nor Refresh or Reset your PC options fails to resolve the booting issue.

When Automatic repair nor Refresh or Reset your PC options fails too, then it may be Windows registry that is to be blamed. If system registry gets corrupted or damaged, then it can prevent your system from booting

Fix – Windows 8 fails to boot
    Microsoft has itself brought out a fix to this kind of errors i.e. Refresh or Reset PC fails after Automatic Repair fails in Windows 8

When the Refresh or Reset or repair option fails, you get to the WinRE screen, here select Troubleshoot > Advanced options

•From the Advanced options, select Command Prompt

•Now, using the CD command, you need to change the directory to WindowsSystem32config folder, simply type cd %windir%system32config and hit Enter

• next, you need to rename the System and Software registry hives to System.001 and Software.001. To do so type the command given below one after the other and hit Enter
    1st • ren system system.001
    2d • ren software software.001

•To use Refresh your PC, simply rename the System hive. In case, the Software hive is also corrupted, then also you are not allowed to use the Refresh your PC option. So, you need to rename the Software hive too. Upon renaming the Software hive, you won’t be to use Refresh your PC option, but only the Reset your PC option.
    •Lastly, type Exit to close the Command Prompt window.

Now, Restart your windows 8 PC back to the Automatic Repair screen and Select Advanced options > Troubleshoot > Reset your PC or Reset your PC as per your requirement.

Upon following the tutorial described here you can fix the Windows 8 booting issues or fix issues with automatic Repair, Refresh and Reset PC.

I also had a bad experience with EasyBCD you might add the new OS with EasyBCD but nothing else, I have turned to msconfig after that. and have had no problems with BOOT.

6. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I am using DulaBootPro v1.1 in Windows 8 RTM, it runs great.
    To install it one has to install in W7 compatibility mode by rt. clicking on the .exe/properties/compatibility tab :)

HTH

7. darkomano

darkomano MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2011
    Visual BCD can help in this situation. The tool comes with "Dual-boot Repair" utility. Run Dual-boot Repair in either Windows 7 or Windows 8, click on "Automatic Repair" and confirm. Reboot. You should be able to boot Windows 8 (default) and Windows 7.

8. frank117

frank117 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    I was afraid to try this fearing it would mess up my win 7 installation. After choosing it in repair I saw you have to choose operating system to repair. Did that and it fixed my problem. Thanks very much for the help. :worthy: