Edge blocking installing program in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by allowingtoo, May 24, 2016.

1. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I'm trying to install a program via Safe Mode on my Brother in Laws computer who is running Windows 10. I'm not that familiar with Windows 10 so I'm having to Google my way through it. I have installed this same exact program on another computer running Windows 10 (that I installed) but I converted that Windows 10 to the Windows 7 experience - or whatever it was called. So I'm pretty sure that Edge and Cortana was disabled on that one.

But my BIL likes his computer the way it is and so I'm trying to not change anything. He does have Chrome installed on it though.

When I get into Safe Mode and try to install the program I get some warning that the program is trying to open up with Edge instead of the program. I don't have the computer on hand right now so I can't tell you the exact error message. He's using it at work. It took me f o r e v e r to get out of Safe Mode hell last night. Scared me for a little bit. It seems like nothing wants to work in Windows 10 safe mode almost. I was restricted to the arrow keys for a while. Finally found the DOS command prompt in Google and back to Desktop. Whew.

Can anyone help me work around this? Like I said, I know it works on Windows 10 because it's running on another computer. It's just trying to open up with Edge for some reason instead of running the program.

:worthy:

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Go into control panel, switch default programs from Edge to Internet Explorer:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    Surely I can't be that stupid. Oh wait. I probably can. Why didn't I find THAT on Google?
    Thanks. Can't wait to try it.

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    In control under default programs, don't get confused select Internet Explorer as your Default

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You can suggest a decent browser with the same effort :D

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    He already said chrome was not installed, so that left Edge or Internet Explorer, since it is his friend's computer, rather than change something big, I figured Internet Explorer would be OK until Edge is up to speed. :D

7. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I'm a SHE but no problem. And I said He does have Chrome installed on it though. Meaning my Brother In Laws computer has Chrome on it which I thought might be important information to know. I will have to check and see if he has IE since the question has come up now.

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #8 lobo11, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    If your going to install programs in safe mode, make sure it is safe mode with networking in case it needs something from net. :D Sorry, I misread the Chrome thing, You can set chrome or IE as default, I would choose chrome, but your BIL may want IE. Internet Explorer comes with Windows 10.

I don't know why he would want to install every program in safe mode, but as I said he needs with networking to work, the only reason, I can think of why it would always boot to safe mode is go to C/Windows/system32/msconfig, under boot tab if you check safe mode, it will boot to safe mode, no networking, and will continue to boot to safe mode until you bring up msconfig in safe mode and uncheck under boot tab, boot to safe mode.

9. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I tried the above the above Windows Club solution and the other (setting my all my defaults to IE instead of Edge) and NOW my program wants to open with IE instead of Edge. Normally the program, running as Admin will open up and run as is.

I'm just stumped. I have no idea why it wants to open up a web page or browser instead.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #11 lobo11, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Now after program is installed, set browser default back to Chrome or the unfinished Edge :tasty:

If the Windows Club solution did not work, go back and undo it, see if simply changing default browsers worked.

11. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    The patch won't install. It wants to open as a webpage or something. First as Edge, now as IE.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #13 lobo11, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Just try to uninstall it, then reinstall it, with Chrome as default browser :D

Use google, search for how to run (Name of Program) in windows 10
    ask how (And be sure to say Windows 10 not just Windows)

You call it a program, then a patch, what is it :confused:

Kind'a sounds like you are trying to install patch to program that is not installed

13. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I am trying to patch Eset. Eset is already installed. I have installed this patch 100 times and it has always worked.

Like I said, I have installed this on a Windows 10 OS already and it installed and worked fine. But I had made THAT Windows 10 system immolation Windows 7 instead.. So I guess that made a difference.

14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #15 lobo11, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Learned? :eek:

Following some BS written by a random forum user is not learning, NOD32 is still one of the best AV out there, surely the one with the best combination of safety, resource demand, and compatibility.

The crap included in w10 is the worst one, by far.

16. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I have never used Nod32 but Eset Smart Security instead. The Smart Security Version 8 which I could patch. I've never had a problem with my computers downloading some rogue software or anything as long as I've been using it. They have newer versions and other ways to "fix" the problem but you always have to constantly update them. This one you just installed it and forgot about it. It always updated the virus signature database and everything. It was everything I could ask for as far as AV.

I do not understand WHY the PATCH program is wanting to open up as a web page in Windows 10 instead of JUST INSTALLING OR RUNNING THE .EXE.. It did not do that in Windows 7. I've tried to run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode and it did not work.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    It's supposed that you pay if you want NOD or Smart security, if you don't want to just use avira, which is free and is good as well.

Maybe I'm a bit bizarre :D but all I want from an AV is that works, then (possibly) which is fast, light, well supported and whatever

18. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Sure.

But that what has to do with the snake oil you mentioned?

Snake oil is an useless thing, an AV maybe useless of me or you but not for the general public.

Especially today that the ransomware is so diffused.