Edit key in ASUS tablet BIOS from Win 8 Core to 8.1 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TIM BUCK TWO, Nov 16, 2013.

1. TIM BUCK TWO

TIM BUCK TWO MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2009
    I'm considering doing a clean install of Windows Pro 8.1 on an ASUS VivoTab ME400C-C2-BK tablet to recapture the space from the restore partition. After doing some research it seems others that have done this run into conflicts if attempting to restore/repair file corruption through Windows down the road because it looks at the BIOS and finds Core version reference.

Is there a way to insert 8.1 Pro key into BIOS to prevent version conflicts?

If not, is there a way to avoid version conflict issues with the BIOS? (simply reinstall?)

Thanks in advance for any clarity. I did search here but came up empty.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    no ..............

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    My Acer laptop has a Win8 Core key embedded in firmware. I was able to clean install Windows 8.1 (WZT) in UEFI without any issue (the installer asked me for a key, I entered a generic Core key, then activated later with my legitimate key).

A Windows 8 disc however will give me conflicting product errors if I don't use a core disc (and upon using a core disc, it will automatically grab the key on its own).

Not sure if that would be the case with all computers though.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    for one and all future times: It is not possible to insert another key into bios expecting an activation process with windows 8 or 8.1.
    Someone certainly can insert any kind of data into bios if he wants to but it will not be very helpful in terms of activation :D

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    OEM makes computer -> sends data to MS -> ms returns a key -> key entered into system. The Win8/8.1 keys in systems are designed to that system. Changing a OEM:DM key from one system to another wouldn't work (I don't think lol maybe worth someones time, forcing a key into MSDM to try it, but not my time hehe)

6. TIM BUCK TWO

TIM BUCK TWO MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replies even though it's not what I was hoping. Can one of you point me to the best tutorial/guide(s) on getting a full version of 8.1 installed on a tablet along with some type of hactivation?