Edit registry of Offline WIM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Duckz, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Hello,

I posted this in the Simplix Pack thread, but thought I would start a new topic as it was started to get a bit off topic.

Would there be anyway to integrate a couple of registry keys, while integrating the Simplix pack?

I've just finished creating myself an ISO using NTLite, which consists of April and September servicing stacks, the convenience rollup and the monthly rollups since then, plus I integrated a couple of my own registry keys.

I'd prefer to use the Simplix pack to make my ISO, as it would require less updating on a new install, but at the same time, I'd like to integrate my registry keys too.

I've ran /imagex /mountrw to a directory successfully, but when I attempt to load the registry using reg load hklm\software\policies\microsoft\windows c:\win7mount\windows\system32\config\software it says ERROR: Access is denied.

I would like to add two keys to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows. On a live windows install I would obviously just double click the .reg files I have and all is done, but ideally, I would like to put them in the wim file.

Any help would be great. I've read examples where people create a key at HKLM\test, but I don't understand how this would work for my situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 Enthousiast, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Thanks again for your reply Enthousiast.

Just so I understand, it doesn't matter what your call the key (in your example MDL_Test)?

Once I've loaded the hive with the directory of where my wim is mounted, it is as if it's the registry of a newly installed system at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE?

So for your example, if I want a new key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows, I should navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MDL_Test\Policies\Microsoft\Windows?

Then once I unload MDL_Test, it will apply any changes I've made to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows of the mounted wim index?

Thanks again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...