Editing the logon screen message that require the user to press CTRL+ALT+DEL

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dodge34, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dodge34

Dodge34 MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
  2. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    Personally for this kind of mods I use TweakNow Windows Secret 2011.
    It let you to do many very interesting things, and, if I don't remember wrong, one of them is what you're looking for :eek:

To be sure run it as admin, after the installation, of course. The program is free and I hope it'll be helpful for you :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dodge34

Jul 6, 2011
    Sorry but the software doesn't offer what I need to edit, they offer to have a custom message at logon but that's not what I want to get, I know this trick already and it cause major chaos on our network users don't like this step so I want to integrate a notice into the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen directly.

4. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    Ok, sorry Dodge34 to don't be immediately helpful.
    So I think you can get what you want in this way:
    1. Open the registry (regedit)
    2. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    3. Backup (export) the key, just in case

The warning message that you’ll add to the Windows 7’s logon screen is actually made up of two parts: the title and the message text.
    1. To add a title to the warning message, locate and double-click the legalnoticecaption value. When the Edit DWORD dialog box appears, type the title in the Value data text box, and click OK.
    2. To add the warning message, locate and double-click the legalnoticetext value. When the Edit DWORD dialog box appears, type the warning message in the Value data text box, and click OK.
    Restar the system and let me know if it worked for you ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dodge34

Jul 6, 2011
    This isn't what I want to add, this warning message cause the chaos in my building, I want to edit the file that contain the Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon to Windows to add a message directly there, not on a popup message. I know its possible to do it, its just I have to find the file to edit in reshacker.

6. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    So, my last idea is for Logon Screen 2.53, from its screen shots seems to be very easy to use and it should help you definetly, at least I hope so...

I'm sorry but I can't manage reshacker now, that's the reason I was looking for something different

7. Dodge34

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for your help, I'll figure it out, I've tested numerous tools today and will try Logon screen tomorrow but most are made to replace the background images and not the actual text on screen, maybe there's one that can also edit the text, will report back soon.

8. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    #8 tunac69, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    You're welcome. I hope this will be correct for you.
    I was not able to insert a link due to forum rules restrictions, but from what I can see, I can add a screenshot (I installed it to have a look)

logonscr.jpg

I hope this will be your case and it will not give the same results as the registry mods...

Attached Files:

9. Dodge34

Jul 6, 2011
    This legal notice option isn't what I'm lookin for, sorry, I'll get it eventually somewhere I'm quite sure, that option called Legal Notice add a popup on screen each time a user log onto the computer to warn them of something, I don't want a popup message each time someone connect to the network, just a single custom warning on the Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen.

10. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    I had a try on my virtual machine, and it add a message in between CTRL+ALT+CANC screen and the one you have to type the passord to logon.
    Now I must go to work, I'll check again as soon as I'll have enough free time.

For now, I'm just sorry to didn't found a solution

11. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    The files involved should be winlogon.exe.mui nor winload.exe.mui in C:\Windows\System32\en-US (or your language in use).

As soon as I'll be at home I'll check them in deep on the VM (I hope to be able to manage reshacker...)

12. Dodge34

Jul 6, 2011
    Will have a look soon of winload.exe.mui I checked deeply in winlogon.exe.mui without luck, I use both vmware Workstation and VirtualBox to try things, I love to mess around with the files you're not supposed to play with and see the results, with a Virtual Machine if something is bad, you just either reset and create a fresh one or copy one that works over the one that doesn't anymore.

13. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    Right, that's the reason why I use the VMWare and once per month a True Image of the phisical system, just in case ;)

Anyway, I pretty sure the file you need to modify is inside that folder

14. Dodge34

Jul 6, 2011
    Yup me too, but the content of this folder is huge, there's so many files in it that I would appreciate if someone know which one I need to edit, I'm testing Windows 8 Developer preview right now on Vmware Workstation latest exp build and it works flawlessly, will get my hands dirty on the windows 7 message later.

15. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    So, enjoy this new experience ;)

I just checked those two files I mentioned before, and looks like is not your solution.

I'll try something more...

16. tunac69

tunac69 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    So, have a look into authui.dll into system32 folder, I think is the one you were looking for

17. Dodge34

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks, will try it later for now I've just got a new phone that use android and I'm a total noob on that new thing, I don't want to look like I'm stupid while using it in public places so I got to learn it quick to be a android geek.