eee PC 900 - Win 8.1 Pro - No SDHC slot available ?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by itsmemario1, Jul 21, 2015.

1. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Hi,

I recently upgraded my 4GB SSD to a KingSpec 32GB and installed windows 8.1 on it.

But the SDHC Reader does not show up under Windows 8.1, while it works like a charme using Windows 7.#

It does show "Portabel Devices "F:" in device manager, but its not enlisted on "My PC", which only shows the SSD.

I got 1 unknown device :

ACPI\ASUS010\1010100 (ACPI Driver, I know the XP one works in Win 7 using compatibilitiy mode)
    and

Video Controller with a "!" :
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_279&SUBSYS_82D91043&REV_04 (intel ?)

But the Standard Microsoft Display Adapter is already visible/installed under "Display Adapter"

Im a bit confused. :g:

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    When I was trying Windows 8 on my AAO I think I used all the XP drivers, as you know some work in compatibility mode. The others I had to force them to install which left yellow triangles in device manager. But this gave me the 'Device IDs' which I googled to get working Windows 8 drivers, it was trial and error and I tended to stick with Acer drivers but I got everything working in the end.

3. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Hmm I see. With Sony Vaios and Acer Aspires I also had "less problems" regarding drivers and Windows 8.1.

The strange thing is, if I use "cmd" and type F:\ it shows the content of the SD Card and Windows detects it at once + plays the sound.

I can then use the SD Card without problems... o_O

In Windows 7 the F: is greyd out as long as I dont insert one SD Card. In Windows 8.1 it is not even there.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    There is a setting in File Explore Options -> View, that hides empty drives.
    Have you tried toggling that to see if it makes any difference ?

5. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #5 itsmemario1, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    (OP)
    That showed indeed the "empty" "F:" ,ty, and clicking it let me acces the SD-Card...but it didnt paly the sound and showed no message of "new media detected". And after opening it...windows opened a 2nd window with the content of the SD-Card.

...after safe-removal, the device manager put the "removeable drive" to a (Code 47) again, which requires deactivation and a restart to be able to use a SD Card again.

Except I rightclick and click eject. Then it works like a charme everytime. Thanks ! :)

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    LOL, that's as bad as the old bunny ears style aerials, where you had to stand in a corner, on one foot, with a finger in your ear, in order to get a good picture. :p

But, hey just have Win8.1 working on a device like that is kinda cool. :cool:

FYI, I've just put Win10 on both my AAO and an old Lenovo S10. Both power management apps don't like Win10 and the Lenovo is having SD reader (realtek) troubles. But they work great, in fact I'd say better than when they ran XP. :biggrin:

7. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
  8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Sorry mate, can't help there, all I know about AHCI is its meant to work better with SATA devices. :eek:

The XP versions of 'Power Managemnet' apps won't work in W8 or W10. Both the AAO and Lenovo had latter W7 Starter versions. That's the 'Power Management' apps I used, the settings are unchangeable as they crash on access. But do improve battery life when left on the default settings.

/Off Topic..
    Will those mSSD's work in a standard mPCIe slot ?
    This Lenovo had an Analogue TV Card in one of those slots, but appeared as a USB device :confused: in Device Manager. I was thing of trying a 32GB SSD in that slot? I tried another WiFi card but that wasn't found by the OS.