EFI boot mui files doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Midowz, May 5, 2013.

1. Midowz

Midowz MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    Hi,

This might seem as a really small issue, but to me and the people using this, it's actually a big deal.

When EFI booting from the Windows 7 64-bit installation DVD, downloaded directly from Microsoft, the boot sector and the boot-loader is in English, where as booting regularly (non-EFI), it's in Danish as it should be.

I've noticed that there is mui files placed in the folder "X:\efi\microsoft\boot\da-dk" and the files are:
    bootmgfw.efi.mui
    bootmgr.efi.mui
    memtest.efi.mui

I've opened these in a hex editor, and I can confirm that they do infact contain the boot messages like "Windows is loading files", in danish. So why aren't they being used?

Another file is X:\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin, which again I've opened in a hex editor, and edited the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD....", to danish. But I guess that a true danish version of this file must exist?

So what is going wrong here? Why does the EFI-boot loader ignore the mui files, and where can I find a danish version of efisys.bin?

I've tried to see if I could steal these files from other danish installation medias, but without any luck. The pattern is the same.

Any help is appreciated.

2. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Check the bcd locale entry in EFI\microsoft\boot\bcd.
    To change it:

bcdedit /store <path_to>EFI\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} locale "da-DK"