Elder Scrolls/Skyrim on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by November_Zulu, Jul 24, 2015.

1. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    #1 November_Zulu, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    The Bad News: Magic Disk (freeware) will not install on Win10, in order to mount the ISO to install Skyrim.

The Good News: Win10 has a built-in function that will mount an ISO. Right click and "Mount". Easy Peasy.

So it's always a bit dodgy for me when I try to install my "special" version of Skyrim, because there's several files and I never know which one to click. So I clicked a bunch of them and after 3 or 4 tries, Skyrim started to install.

Remember that thing about "mandatory updates", "software as a service", etc... Well, during the installation process, Win10 tells me that an "App" (I'm going to HATE software being called "Apps". ("Apps" are stupid, gap-toothed grinning retards. Software is real, and "Apps" are not. "Let's get "App-y", and other stupid and trite sayings burned with a soldering iron into plaques mounted on bathroom walls at places like your uncle's cabin, or the urinals at your favorite country bar. That's what's coming, and I dread it more than death itself. Serious programmers write software. "Apps" are what tell you what the temperature the water is, in the bowl of your toilet. /rant)

Anyways, Windows 10 informs me that the NSA has decided that I needed .NET 3.5 or something, and I just manually checked for updates yesterday, so what gives? All that crap was "recommended", but now that everything the NSA/MS wants is "mandatory", they don't install it until you need it. Note: .NET 3.5 just finished and the NSA says it "includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0. Never used to say that before. Each of those used to be an individual PITA and each of those would occasionally stop working and require a special and time-consuming fix. Good news? Bad news? IDK, you'll hear me wailing if it turns out the answer is "B".

(I'm writing this during the install process, btw.)

Okay so I just copied the 4 "special" files to the appropriate directory, and Win10 sets the settings to "medium", just like my Win7 machine, so (to me, anyways) that indicates that there isn't some massive boost in computing efficiency or power. I have a new video card coming soon, so maybe things will improve.

Started to play the game and it acted like it was going to run, but I shut it down so I can manually copy my saved games from my "daily use" Win7 installation. I have to give myself permission to access the data from Win10, so that is what we are waiting on now.

Okay permissions acquisitions completed with several errors, which I "continued" through. Some files ("My Music", for one) for some reason, are not accessible. But I got to the D:\Users\(Username)\Documents\My Games\Skyrim and copied the "Saves" folder to the same directory on the "C:" (Win10) hard drive.

If anyone knows how to make Skyrim use a "save" file on another hard drive, I'd appreciate learning how. Migrating the save file to the system disk is the only way I know to get Skyrim to load it.

Anyways, just got done playing about 20 minutes of Skyrim on Windows 10. It works, in case anyone is wondering if it's worth trying.

2. Raymonf

Raymonf MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2013
    The NSA? Microsoft hasn't bundled .NET 2/3.x since Windows 8...

3. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Did you try Alt+Tab during game process?

4. DivideX0

DivideX0 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    Take your tinfoil hat off and go outside.

5. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015
    No, but I just did and it works "sort of". It's slow, cranky and bitchy, but I managed to toggle Alt+tab to get into the Windows GUI, then got back into Skyrim again.

6. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    This command doesn't work for me in build 10166.

7. xDownSetx

xDownSetx MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    Skyrim requires .NET35 to run. If you didn't have a goofed copy then it would have installed it at launch.

DkuBA3O.png

8. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015
    #8 November_Zulu, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Code:
    en_windows_10_pro_10240_x64_dvd
    Like I said it's not SMOOTH. I had to mess with it a bit. Might have just been lag, due to a system that only rates a "medium" (GT9500 video card, quad-core cpu, 8 Gbytes DDR800 RAM). Maybe if I would have pressed the buttons and waiting 10 seconds it might have done it, but I messed & messed and eventually it gave it up.

9. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    #9 Full inu, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I have a really weird bugs on Steam games - missed fonts, alt+tab doesn't work in almost al games...
    Just predict Windows 10 will be a real FUN for gamers at first...

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    the hell is this:death:

bitching about a hacked copy of a game. Hacked games rarely work "well" all of the time, even if they do most of the time.