[DISCUSSION] SolusOS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by R29k, Sep 3, 2015.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #101 R29k, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Based on Ubuntu, nope thanks, not another fork. :rolleyes:

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :thumbsup: Mac OS over that spyware that is Windows 10 then !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah but you're not human...:rolleyes::p:D

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Ubuntu is a fork.

If you want an original distro just use Arch linux, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, Slack...

6. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I not said I want a 'original' I've said it's just a fork and i's beyond me why we need other distro if there are already over 600 out, and not half of them got an audit. If you recommend something I expect answers/explanations.

This is a new project, it not offers any benefit over e.g. Ubuntu (or if you want 'original' Debian) or any other 'hardened' OS like Arch.

For me I can't recommend or suggest that to other people, since you get the same with Ubuntu + some tweaks here and there. I read entire topic here, most of it is simply off-topic and not even relevant to the Elementary OS discussion. This distro is more for beginners and nothing but this, I wouldn't say it makes the switch from Windows -> Linux easier but since people care a lot about GUI it it's (maybe) a little bit easier to work with it (compared to other KDE's).

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Ahem case closed !

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    My personal idea is that when a linux distro starts to ape Macos is already starting with the wrong foot.

It's true that KDE and Older Gnome started borrowing most ideas from windows, but is also true that windows copied many fresh ideas from KDE and Gnome as well, sometime with an incredible delay (see CMD prompt here, which is in windows since W8, but was included in KDE 0.xx in '98 or so).

In short Windows and linux GUIs helped to improve each other for two decades. Macos is still macos, the same useless, slow, ugly, and unproductive OS X, released after the JOBS return in Apple.

So why someone is still apeing it is just beyond me.

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Plus, the whole "Windows" idea was taken from others... not MS product at all!

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    So going by this wonderful thinking, no one should create anything new just use the original and love it or lump it. :laie:

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Aaaaa, how does that function: if others have made something new and original at some point in time (as we have those on offer, obviously...), why does it follow the same can not be done again? :D

Btw, some distros - although forks of Ubuntu, for instance - do improve things, in various way, so again I don't follow those types of thinking...

If somebody makes a really cool multimedia distro - so what if it's Ubuntu derivative/fork?

Duuuhhh..:biggrin:

12. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Some things, after a long evolution can't be perfected, at least is very hard to really improve them. Both MS, KDE and Gnome have demonstrated this.

The W95 like GUI was improved for a while until the days of XP, then any attempt to improve it was a failure, Vista vastly and pointlessly complicated the XP one, KDE4 was (and still is) just the shadow of of the previous versions, then few things were improved again on both sides: a step forward is easier after three steps backward.

Android was/is no different, constant improvements since the first release and until Gingerbread, then just idiotic moves

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    This is all your opinion, no basis in fact !

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I'm used to share my opinion, not the opinion of Bugs Bunny or Donald Trump

Ehm...

No

Personal tastes matters, but moving the menu key from the bottom to the top left of a phone, when the display sizes jumped from 3.5/4" to 5/6" inch is its just idiotic, no matter the POV.

In vista having to click 7 times to see your network status, instead of the 2 needed on XP, wasn't any smarter.

Just two examples, but I can continue for a day, if you want

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :g:So what does any of this have to do with being on topic in this thread ?

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Not sure. You wrote something, I replied.

If your messages were on topic, my replies are on topic as well.

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    C'mon, TS, Linux has many flaws, many of them are not - strictly speaking - of Linux community making (millions of drivers not being written for it by the manufacturers, as Linus keeps saying, hence Linux Desktop has no chance against the monopolists, as the possible combinations are endless...)...

It's hardly "difficult to imagine" how Linux distro can be improved, from HW compatibility onwards, to all manner of things, like bugs in Audio-Visual complex apps (like Kodi), which may range from a distro itself to the app itself, crappy and insufficient or overly complex settings controls, GUI that sometimes is virtually inexistent, graphics that are way too poor to speak of, apps that are a shadow of Winblows version (fully functional audio-visual chat apps are forever "coming soon" and never materialising, for instance) and on and on and on...

If one really wanted to improve things there, there's hard work for really well educated and talented (but seriously determined) people for many years, if not decades...

19. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :31:Linux is the kernel, the rest is fluff. If you don't like the fluff then change it, arguing about ui is stupid imo.

20. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Linux desktop has no chances just because the average Joe, couldn't care less about freedom privacy choices and do on, he just cares about the price.

And as a matter of facts almost no one pays directly or evidently for a windows copy. Windows are either pirated, provided by the company/school/whatever or hidden in the HW price. Macos is no different given it is bundled with the Apple HW.

The supposed problems of linux are non existent since the early 2000s, except for few hyperspecialized programs which aren't available for the platform

Educated people should try to educate the not educated ones, more than spending time in fixing something that already works.

And An apple wannabe UI isn't surely the best way to do it