[DISCUSSION] Email clients

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by vistadude, Jan 25, 2009.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Does anyone know of a good email client that downloads only the recent messages, say 50 or 100, and removes older messages without actually deleting anything from the pop3 server? This is for a secondary computer which I only use during travel and I don't want it to download hundreds of messages when I check email on it only once in awhile.

Can windows vista mail or windows live mail do this?

Thanks.

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    POP3 setup

I've not seen a client that is that selective. However, your POP3 account may allow a limited ability to set a date range; Gmail does.

Among other accounts I use Gmail which can be set to read/delete, read/archive, or read/leave in inbox. In addition, Gmail can, at any time, be set to read "from now on." (In Gmail, archive means move the read email from the inbox but not delete it).

Using Outlook, I normally have Gmail set to read/archive all incoming mail. Since I receive a lot of email in different accounts, I do not always read them in a timely fashion, i.e., one or two accounts get a bit overloaded, shall we say. When I am going on a trip, especially business and, if I do not want to deal with emails stored on Gmail waiting for me to read, I reset Gmail to DL "from now on." All of the unread emails remain in the inbox but only those that arrived since I reset my preferences will be Dled (and archived). Then, when I am in the mood to wade through the rest, I reset the preferences to DL all.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ghfujianbin

ghfujianbin MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Hi there,

I wanna know what kind of email clients you guys are running. I've tried Thunderbird, but it's not resource light for me. Any alternatives out there? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Ty

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aarsole

aarsole MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2011
    If you are using Windows7 then try Windows own email client or use Windows Live email client...they both are compatible with your system and easy on resources as well

6. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Hi, I haven't had any problems with Mozilla Thunderbird. Just like Firefox, you can go to the Mozilla site and customize it the way you want.

7. ghfujianbin

ghfujianbin MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Thanks y'all. I just decided to go with windows live mail. I have to say I'm impressed for now. It's light on the resource and easy to configure. My system of laptop is XP. I think I'll give it a try on the Windows7 of my Desktop.

Regards,
    Tyler

8. =)(=

=)(= Guest

www dot emclient dot com

9. UTDKING

UTDKING MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Hi all,
    As there are so many Email software progs around now & windows comes with Windows mail also Office as outlook as we all use email or some sort of messaging service
    often daily
    I wonder which do user find the best I`ve list some things below that you might consider

1.Easy instal & setup of email accounts
    2.Good Notifier of new mail
    3.Option to block un-wanted mail
    4.Easy to use
    5.Can be used on most system devices ie:pc,Tablet,Smartphone
    6.Cost/Or Free

If you install a email prog onto your system which do you prefer & why What are the good points & the Bad

Say you have something like Incredimail & you like the Colorful Letters But you dislike its Un-install as it leaves files behind
    That just an example
    So share your experianes with email progs which you like & which you don`t
    Thanks

10. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    use gmail,don't install email bloatware crap software

11. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
  12. Hyson

Hyson MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    Well, I believe Outlook and Outlook.com are both acceptable.
    I installed outlook as part of my Office prog and use Outlook.com in my 2nd desktop. I now almost totally switched to web-page email system, outlook.com and gmail.com, nothing to install as most of the time the pcs are connected to the net.

13. Adam999

Adam999 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    Outlook is fine. I use it in my work. Otherwise you should also consider a "cloud" solution, like Google GMail.

14. sports allrounder

sports allrounder MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2011
    Outlook is the best for me...but Thunderbird is good enough too

15. paulinasalsa

paulinasalsa MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    Why not use Outlook? It's easy to use and multi-functional.You don't have to install another one.

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I use Gmail, it goes with me on my phone and tablet. Literally anywhere I am at a pc with internet connection. it works for me. No install, no setup just login and go. Phone and tablet are both android devices btw. :android:

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    After checking what is available, I have come down to two: Claws Mail, and Opera Mail.

Is there any reason why to prefer one over the other? Are why to avoid one of them?

Thanks, TM

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  19. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #20 Kim100, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017