email client for a netbook

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by vistadude, Jan 25, 2009.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Does anyone know of a good email client that downloads only the recent messages, say 50 or 100, and removes older messages without actually deleting anything from the pop3 server? This is for a secondary computer which I only use during travel and I don't want it to download hundreds of messages when I check email on it only once in awhile.

Can windows vista mail or windows live mail do this?

Thanks.

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    POP3 setup

I've not seen a client that is that selective. However, your POP3 account may allow a limited ability to set a date range; Gmail does.

Among other accounts I use Gmail which can be set to read/delete, read/archive, or read/leave in inbox. In addition, Gmail can, at any time, be set to read "from now on." (In Gmail, archive means move the read email from the inbox but not delete it).

Using Outlook, I normally have Gmail set to read/archive all incoming mail. Since I receive a lot of email in different accounts, I do not always read them in a timely fashion, i.e., one or two accounts get a bit overloaded, shall we say. When I am going on a trip, especially business and, if I do not want to deal with emails stored on Gmail waiting for me to read, I reset Gmail to DL "from now on." All of the unread emails remain in the inbox but only those that arrived since I reset my preferences will be Dled (and archived). Then, when I am in the mood to wade through the rest, I reset the preferences to DL all.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...