...Embrace Extend Extinguish...Against Linux ?!?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Nov 12, 2019.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
  2. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Every time you hear him say edge just convert that in your head to Chrome, Not sure why people did not see this coming I mean Chrome already works on Linux so all Microsoft had to do was change all the links that point to Google properties to Microsoft

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm economic power is a disgrace...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Yeah I know that Munich story. I was proud of Munich, but then they felt down again...kiss a** politicians....
    The return to M$ was pure political and never technical.

M$ should shut up and keep their hands off from foreign good stuff.
    With capital in mind you never can announce honest and real interests.

Who needs their Edge / AV on Linux? To get metadata?

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    for me honestly this is a shame, affront to consumers beyond rampant greed...;)

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    who needs m$ on ubuntu as well?
    the story that i found much more alarming was the story about m$ cooperating with canonical...
    it only takes a couple of billions to take over canonical, that is currently the leading company on linux distros.
    and canonical have got enough lack of integrity to just let it happen. pecunia non olet.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yes as I said in another post, economic power is a real disgrace because to my view the M$FT with its billions comes out there buying everything you see in front of you when you feel it can be "harmed" financially somehow just remember who's the proprietary of github's and so on...;)

8. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    I know that similar stories have been posted many times before, but most were second hand. This one actually happened to me. I feel it is important to repeat again to shine a light on the corporate morals of Microsoft.

Years ago I wrote a utility program and released it as shareware. A short while later I was contacted by Microsoft and told that they were interested in purchasing the rights to my program so it could be included in Windows. The discussion went on for a while and then all contact was cut off. I could not reach the person that I had been dealing with and nobody even admitted that he existed.

Much to my surprise, the next update included my utility. While I never released the source code, they got enough information on how it worked that they were able to reverse engineer my program. Needless to say I never received a cent from Microsoft and now that it was included, shareware sales came to a screeching halt.

9. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    there is a good oldfashioned word for that; it is called stealing. and no use going to court, of course, you will go broke against those billionaires

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #11 Tiger-1, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    @nodnar you made my day better believe me ;):D

12. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i do, tiger. but mj made me disbelieve that she is old; she can still type hellishly fast like a teen.:D

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep MJ rocks always knows everything :D

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    :oops::oops::oops:

:hug2:

15. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    oh, we made her blush... ;) proves she`s not old..

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    nod shame I'm 65 :(:p

17. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    My experience. Talk to average Windows user. They no nothing about alternate OS system. Say Linux. They have that deer.n.headlights look. That may be part of Munich story.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  19. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    That would be just like 2005, LOL.

20. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    QFT, despite threats of jail, which was mostly from the MPAA & co., (or at the least, the MPAA & co., was the most brazen about threatening jail!) you instead usually get dollar billed to death! The RIAA loves to dollar bill people to death!
    (Much of the time, I honestly think the only jail time would be, if found to be in contempt of court.)