Emulate BIOS menus

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by dumraden, Apr 10, 2013.

1. dumraden

dumraden MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2013
    My little Acer Aspire One went AWOL, and now I am stuck with a BIOS locked HDD, that I cannot unlock unless i get another Mobo for my netbook, or find another netbook to take apart and fit my HDD in. The first one is rather expensive just to recover the data, and the latter... well I don't have another one...

I have been trying to install one of the bios megapacks, both automatic installer and manual, by editing the .vmx, although I don't see any difference to the Bios options themselves. Are these BIOS packs ONLY for SLIC emulation purposes and nothing more?

Any advice as how-to emulate the Insyde BIOS menu in one way or another will be extremely helpfull. Thanks!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Sorry, while it might be legit request, but requests like that are not treated favorably...
    HD does not lock itself...

3. dumraden

dumraden MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2013

I'm not saying it locked itself... I locked it because I wanted to have one extra level of security, and now it backfired at me.

Because I know what you are referring to... I'm not looking for a way to crack the password, because I know it.

I just want to know if there is a way to emulate the BIOS menus of Insyde BIOS, so that I can unlock the HDD, and recover my data, and use it as an external HDD in the end.

Hope this clears things up.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    No, there is no way to emulate BIOS externally from hardware

If you know the password, then just remove it

5. dumraden

dumraden MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2013
    Do you know a way of unlocking a bios locked HDD other than getting my hands on an Acer Netbook or a replacement Motherboard?

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    If your HDD is locked by ATA Security commands, a tool like HDAT2 could help. This utility can be booted and run without OS. You only need a system where you can connect the drive.