enabling aero

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cl4ymore, Apr 18, 2011.

1. cl4ymore

cl4ymore MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2011
    Anyway I have a hp530 laptop and it has vista home basic, it has obviously doesn't have the aero enabled. Anyway it when I tried to enable wddm using the .exe 'win 1583' which is the intel GMA945 graphics card intergrated, it seems it's customised or something by the manufacturer I then tried to download the drivers direct from the manufacturer which is HP and download them again. I know this is risky, but I'm hoping if anything goes wrong I can do a System Restore. So will the registry hacks work?

(REG_DWORD): Composition Change the existing value to 1.
    Modify the following value (REG_DWORD): CompositionPolicy Change the existing value to 2.

or will this work:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
    4. Create a new registry branch called DWM. (If DWM doesn’t work, try to create and use WDM registry branch instead.)
    5. Inside the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DWM\ registry branch, create a new DWORD subkey called EnableMachineCheck.
    6. Right click on EnableMachineCheck (or double click on it) to set the value to 0.
    7. Repeat above two steps to create another DWORD called Blur, and set the value to 0.
    8. Repeat again the steps to create another DWORD called Animations and set that to 0.

I'm not so concerned about enabling aero on Vista Home Basic,(it would be nice though to play with aero b4 I get Win7), but I was planning to purchase Win7 Home Premium and I'm concerned I won't have any full funtionality with aero coz the manufacturer has decided not to put wddm 1.0 on intergated graphics card. By the way will this guys way about enabling aero on his machine help ;Aero Hack on Intel 915 ? SP 1 if you do a thread search it will come up(can't post a link until I hv 20+ posts). Anyway thanks for all your help, if it can't work, it's OK, I'll just have to live with Win7 Home without aero:( until I get a new laptop.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    I have two netbooks (Asus Eee PC 1000HE & Toshiba NB205-N310BN) running Windows 7 Home Premium x86 and they both run Aero with no problems. WEI for both is 2.4. The CPUs are both intel Atom, both have 2GB RAM and the video card is whatever came with them. But Aero ran just fine with 1GB RAM. Both netbooks came with XP Home and I can't imagine a lower performance setup for either. W7 runs great btw ... better than XP ever did.

I did turn off all window and menu animations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cl4ymore

cl4ymore MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks! for the reply! Guess I'm now confident in buying Win7, It seems that wddm is operating system specific(I hope) and may hv been locked out of WDDM 1.0 because it has a customised GPU drivers from HP; it's because I hv Vista basic coz none of the regedit worked. I uninstalled the gpu drivers and reinstalled them. I played with my buddy's Win7 and I'm starting to think that having a fancy aero GUI of of little consequence to me. The GUI that really looks impressive is the MacOSX software...man it's slick, there's a linux ubuntu based distribution called 'GoS' which has the same interface as MacOSX, which I think I'll play with until I save enuff to get a MacBook in the future (man, $2000 is steep).
    Anyway I'm getting Win7 nxt month hope that everything goes well:biggrin:

4. jeremia

jeremia MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    It will be without problems...