End of Support for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by steven4554, Oct 28, 2012.

?

So will you be using XP after April 8th, 2014!

Poll closed Mar 21, 2019.
  1. Yes (More compatibility)

50.5%
  2. Maybe

15.8%
  3. No (Less Secure!)

33.7%
  1. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #1 steven4554, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Running XP in VMware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Me too.. in Virtualbox.

:)

4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    got an older lappy, runs perfectly on xp..
    if it aint broke, don`t fix it..
    :animatedwink:

5. nintenpc

nintenpc MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2011
    I'll keep running it on old machines for a couple of months after April, and then if I still need it I'll disable the network on those machines.

6. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    So I one question about the end of support of Windows XP. Will people still be able to activate if you have a legit key and everything?.
    I bought a Sp2 a long time ago, but I'm still using it on my laptop. And I have a few other computers that have windows XP on them.
    I just don't want to lose the ability to activate them by legit means.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Just type
    in google :biggrin: the answer is yes :p

8. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Well that answer's my question :| I should just Google'ed that >.<.

9. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    This is new to me MS stopping complete support on Winxp after April 8th, 2014, the last time i heard it was 2012 , if i am not mistaken.
    But does that mean the software developer will stop making program's for Winxp , then that's a bad news, i don't know but why make changes just for the heck of making a change. Keep and support Winxp and at the same time use Win7 and its future, a win win situation.
    What do you say.

10. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  11. nintenpc

nintenpc MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2011
    It costs money to support an OS, and we can't expect Microsoft to keep supporting Windows XP forever when it is no longer profitable for them. I don't blame them for ending support.

12. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
  13. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Doubtful that I can get all the old computers replaced companywide. They are still using quite a few old Pentium 4 machines.

I am going to make a best effort though to get Win7 or Win8 deployed on as many desktops as possible.

14. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    windows 7 was a great build. i like it in many ways. i hate it in others though. they implemented too many things from Vista (which sucked all-around) that were useless, especially window's versions of symlinks to data folders.

i'll continue to use XP until they make something as good as it is... which from what i'm seeing is not going to happen anytime soon...

Windows 8 sucks all-around. it's a disaster and a bad sign of what's to come. i'm sure 8 will be fine for tablets and mobile devices, but it's always going to suck for the end user on a PC. plain and simple.

15. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Thanks for all that voted, it looks like MS is going to have a major problem on their hands, trying to convince people to ditch XP for 7 or 8.

I don't blame those that wish to continue using XP beyond the support lifecycle, XP still has alot of life left in it, and no doubt someone will create a unofficial SP4 for it, as well as a SP3 for x64.

16. Ahmad Nawaz

Ahmad Nawaz MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes Windows Xp will be only option for low end hardware machines.

17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  18. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #19 Beowulf, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

I think its evolution taking over, its quite natural if someone thinks in terms of business if a company wants to make money, lets not forget after all Winxp was created by MS and we still use it and they themselves want to better that product, which is healthy but what i quite don't like is and the thing that really is bugging me is why , and i say why make so quick changes of products in so short time.
    Company should consider that not all the people are rich and those countries whose GDP or per Capita income are not that high can't afford to buy new rigs, and MS shouldn't really pass subliminal messages on TV and allur people to buy Win7 or 8 simply becaue its better (maybe), may be in due course people would choose Win7 ,its already a whealthy company why introduce OS so quickly is my question, i am using Winxp for the past 20 years, although my rig is qualified to run Win7 and 8 but i still want Winxp , i would keep Win7 too provided i had a valid key, i could use a patch its no difficult, but i am going all ethical.
    If the third party software company stops making application compatible for Winxp then i don't think the users would have much choice, is it possible for the software companies to start an alliance with MS to monopolise their product, but then again their are open source as well (how would that benefit them) aren't their and how would this end for MS with their new avatar Win8, is it going to go good or bad . Have you tried their beta version, no no man (it was really non user friendly) , they are trying to move two steps ahead of themselves.

19. nintenpc

nintenpc MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2011
    "i am using Winxp for the past 20 years"

So while everyone else was drooling over Windows 95, you were already on XP?