English Windows 8.1 with traditional Chinese language problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by michaelbr, Jan 3, 2014.

1. michaelbr

michaelbr MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    I'm having problem with foreign language install on my Win 8.1 X64. The problem is:
    - my original Win 8.1 install is in English
    - I have some apps in traditional Chinese
    - when I tried to install it in English Win 8.1, the apps messages showed a bunch of garbage on the screen, after searching on the net, they said that I need to change the local and use the Traditional Chinese language, but I couldn't find traditional Taiwan Chinese, after further search, I found one solution which is to use HK traditional Chinese instead of Taiwan, I followed those instructions and it worked as supposed. I thought I had saved the link, but now I needed it again, I couldn't find it.
    Any one knows about how to install Chinese or other Asian language apps in English Win?
    - another problem I had with above solution was after I installed Chinese apps, and changed the local back to English, Win 8.1 displayed some messages both in English and Chinese. How do I set it so it will display correctly the messages in only one language?

thanks for your comment/suggestion

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Can't you get what you need from Windows update?
    I have a friend from Taiwan who does this, I'll ask him how

...T

3. michaelbr

michaelbr MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    I'm sorry, I didn't quite get your meaning, what do you mean by Windows update? I'm avoiding using Win update because it's very messy and leave a bunch of file behind.

Thanks for your suggestion

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. howhwa

howhwa MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    You need to go to Control Panel > Region > Administrative > Change system locale. In there you should be able to select Chinese traditional. After that restart your PC and you should be able to see Chinese correctly displayed in your apps.

5. michaelbr

michaelbr MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    Theoretically should be this way, but I've already tried this method and it DID not work, first of all, when you select Chinese traditional, there's no Chinese traditional Taiwan to be downloaded, second, even if you could install the Chinese traditional, you still need to change the local so when you install Chinese traditional apps, it'll show the characters correctly. But my problem is after I've installed the Chinese traditional apps and switch the local back to English, some messages in the English windows still shows Chinese characters, I can still work with it, but it's annoying, and it seems that MS never solved this problem (I had similar problem in XP) and claims that Windows is multilingual (too bad that I can't install Linux on my laptop for lack of drivers :confused:)