Enhance security by associating script files with Notepad

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by cbsvitzer, May 7, 2021.

1. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    #1 cbsvitzer, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Enhance security by associating script files with Notepad

Opening script files can be a hazard for ordinary people. Often script files are attached to e-mails and presented as documents. To raise security, I accociate these script files with Notepad. In that case, nothing will happen, if the script is malicious.

Associate script files with Notepad:
    Save as .bat file and run as Administrator.

Revert to standard association:
    Save as .bat file and run as Administrator.

Could anyone take a look at my list, and maybe suggest other accociations? I just want to make it safer for people, who doesn't know anything about script files.

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You still need to use that computer, so you won't be associating notepad with exe, msc, msi, lnk, reg, pdf, doc, chm, rtf, ttf, image/other format with wmf-like viewer vulnerability, server-side mime magic or whatever. Most formats are already blindly blocked in-browser, and you are after even more needless annoyances..
    Instead of reinventing the wheel, 90's style, and introduce a fake sense of security that can bite you later on, just let your antivirus deal with it.
    And use a non-admin windows sign-in account, and a browser user agent switcher extension to lie about using linux or macos ;)
    Check your mail via the browser, it's safer than mail applications.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @cbsvitzer
    Something more stupid and even more malicious is difficult to suggest. Never do such nonsense.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    #4 cbsvitzer, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    (OP)
    Of course I'm not going to associate .exe with notepad :cool:

I have been using this for a couple of years in some companies, that I work for, without any problems. They are companies, so it's not possible to use the browser for e-mail. They only want to use the Outlook mail program.

The thing I really fear is ransomware scripts, attached to e-mails. I don't think the AV will detect a text file, attached to an e-mail, as a threat. And I've seen a lot of ransomware sent as text scripts