Enterprise LTSB for Gaming

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by v0mit, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. v0mit

v0mit MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    I use my PC mainly for gaming (via Steam). I'm considering switching from CB to LTSB, since I don't use any of the xbox/onedrive/cortana/edge/store/etc (and frankly consider most of that crap bloatware). The one thing I'm worried about is issues for gaming compatibility. Is there anything I should worry about? Will I still be able to use a controller, update directx12, etc? Is there anything that I might need for gaming that I won't be able to install manually? Or is sticking with CB and manually uninstalling all the bloat via Toggle Tweaker/OOSU10/etc a better option?

2. Kurgy68

Kurgy68 MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2015
    I think than the best for you it's LTSB, what you call bloatware tends to reinstall it with the updates and Cortana, etc to reactivate, if you only want the pc for games try LTSB and forget all these headaches

3. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    LTSB is fine for Gaming, even LTSB N is. But you could debloat your Pro with tools like MSMG Toolkit and remove all the crap from the Windows iso within 5-10 minutes. I'm running such a build and never faced any problem until now. You can even remove the telemetry stuff with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. v0mit

v0mit MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    LTSB N is the one I'm looking at (I'm using Enterprise right now).
    Is MSMG Toolkit better than Toggle Tweeker and OOSU10 (or just uninstalling all the preloaded apps with powershell)? Also do you have a link to it?

5. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Since XP, Windows was created as a base and features will added on top for Pro/Enterprise versions (such as App and Bitlocker, etc)

That means that Enterprise/LTSB can do everything Home can, but not vice versa.

There IS one exception though. LTSB ONLY comes with one app - tech support. So no Store/apps.

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    No issues here on LTSB with gaming :)

8. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I thought about switching to LTSB N but went back to 7 instead.

I think 1 (or more) of several things will happen (or, needs to happen at least) before I go back to 10 especially for gaming:
    • Microsoft reverses their stance on updating and allows more user choice especially regarding the ability to refuse updates by picking and choosing what updates to accept (Pro and above)
    • DX12 is shown to be worthwhile enough and is used by a lot of games (though I don't expect this for another year at least)
    • Microsoft backpedals on telemetry and data collection and finally makes opt out do what they say it does; OS no longer communicates with data mining turned off.

Realistically I don't expect 1 or 3 but I'm on the "borrowed time" group with #2 (DX12). If anything I'm more likely to switch from 7 to 8.1 at this point if I upgrade to anything, but, I am somewhat hoping that maybe eventually MS gets tired of being questioned and brow beaten in the press and does change their tune (a bit). Again though I'm not holding my breath.

They're [Microsoft] not standing against CISA, and that's a bold move to take when your latest and greatest is perceived by many to be a big chunk of spyware. At this point the end does not justify the means for me with 10.

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Windows 7 uses telemetry too just for the record so where lies the difference then ! I do not care about telemetry I do care about an updated OS with a good thirt party driver support at the moment ;) just my 2 cents

10. v0mit

v0mit MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    I hope you're not using any Logitech products then :p

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Haha only an webcam and the software is w10 supported :p

12. v0mit

v0mit MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    Lucky, my F710s and G27 aren't :(
    I should just stop buying Logitech products.

13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    LTSB does come with DirectX and most games will automatically install or update DirectX too. As it's optimized for even lower powered computers (something corporations tend to have a lot of on the cheap), it is breezing fast for gaming. I found it better for gaming then Home or Pro. I also got a better lossless video rendering using LTSB

15. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    No sir; no it doesn't if you don't install those updates (and I have not).

You can refuse telemetry and CEIP in 7 & 8 which is something you cannot do in 10.

16. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Yup, this why MS want people to upgrade. Telemetry is literally embedded in 10, whereas it was easy to simply ignore 7/8 updates that added telemetry post-launch.

Even with programs that "remove spying", it's debateable if they actually work, since MS made telemetry a developmental goal of 10.

17. v0mit

v0mit MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2015
    #17 v0mit, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    (OP)
    Yeah I've got a couple of them that I installed as xbox360 controllers, and they work for the most part.. I run into problems all the time though (especially with games like Rocket League, super meat boy, etc). It would be nice of Logitech got off their asses and released a stable driver is all I'm saying :p

Interesting! What kind of gains are we talking about here? Higher FPS? Faster load times? Decreased CPU usage?

18. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Testing LTSB I haven't noticed any sort of speed or fps increases. Not sure why people are suggesting this over the normal pro version despite LTSB not having Cortana which is a huge plus but boot time is the same and fps etc is the same from what I can see on my hardware which is

Asrock Extreme4 Z97
    Core i5 overclocked to 4.7ghz
    32gb ram
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
    120gb SSD

19. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #19 Muerto, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

20. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I have an older computer so in my case it was all the above.