enterprise/ultimate or posready 7 for long term usage?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by prengle, Oct 20, 2020.

1. prengle

prengle MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2019
    howdy,

i've felt particularly stubborn and restless lately so i'm trying to upgrade to win7 on this particular pc (i5 6600k + msi z170a m7 mobo) for the 500th time before it's too late. standard extended support ended almost a year ago, so i think i might be a little late to the party, but whatever. i used a stock 7 enterprise x64 iso, a win10 ltsc 1809 iso, along with the sticked mdl simplix tool to make an updated aio iso file. the .bat script threw up a couple dism errors but the iso seemingly turned out fine, rufus didn't have any issues creating a bootable drive and while i haven't installed it yet, for the first time ever with this pc, i finally have the windows 7 installer working and you have no idea how cathartic this feels.

however.. the simplix tool's readme explicitly says it only supports standard win7 skus, which micro$oft's esu program is covering up to january 2023. the slightly newer embedded skus are being supported for a little longer - embedded standard 7 is being begrudgingly kept alive until october 2023 and posready 7 support doesn't end until october 2024! o_o

unsurprisingly, i kind of care about getting those two extra years of updates since i intend on using 7 (and/or 8.1) until i can smoothly migrate over to [insert linux distro here], and i might even try using it on a newer pc with a ryzen in it.. that'll be fun. i have no interest in using windows 10. (ltsb/c is the only version i can tolerate and even that's getting worse.) the thing is, i don't know if posready 7 updates work on non-embedded win7 or if they'll be installable on enterprise x64 when the time comes. i saw one post from abbodi saying he couldn't get it working but that was a while ago, i'm not sure if things have changed, and i don't even know if i read their post properly. either way, i haven't seen the topic of posready 7 come up online much, so i don't really know what to think

tldr - if i want to use windows 7 for a few more years before i switch over to linux, do i have to install posready 7 to get support until october 2024, or will those updates work fine on regular win7 editions?

thanks!

2. prengle

prengle MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2019
    i used W7_x64_AiO_New_2.3.cmd and i don't remember the exact error that dism spat up - i think it was during the sku creation process. i installed everything in a vm fine, all of the skus showed up (i only installed and activated enterprise with kms_vl_all), and all of the simplix updates and everything appear to be present, so i guess everything's cool?

i'm perfectly aware that i need bypassesu to install esu updates, but what i'm wondering is whether or not posready 7 updates will work on non-embedded versions of windows 7, and if i should use enterprise or posready 7 if i want to use windows 7 in the near future

i physically can't use linux atm because i don't have a wifi adapter for my current pc that supports it, i'd like to try using it on raw metal first before using it full time, and i run a lot of old windows software that i'd like to test personally with wine/proton. tbh i like most versions of windows nt, and if i could, i would probably use 7 (or 2000) forever - it's just that microsoft has become even more draconian over the last decade and linux is the only real alternative

3. alzcoew397

alzcoew397 MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2018
    can pos ready activated with the OEM solution or not???

4. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    better ask here instead

5. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    yes but for have windows 7 with full hardware software support use windows 7 enterprise with kms-vl-all

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...