EPIC Privacy Browser

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Tiger-1, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi
    I see on web one new browser (a least for me) named Epic (based in Chrome) with new feature about privacy and now using it for testing; then if someone here know something about it please share with me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #2 Dark Knight, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep, ok dude thanks for the info and I think some lack as extension for translate (essential) in overal I also like Epic, one funny thing after Epic instaled and I configured for NO default browser then I close it and open Chrome that warning me with respect privacy and all contents lol:)

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Tested a bit and I'm nor satisfied at this time! Main problem is, that you could not disable the Add-Blocker for some websites, like you could while use Add-Block Plus! Therefore, a lot of websites couldn't be opened!

The only extension it's supported right now, is IDM, but all features of IDM!

That said, for the time being, I'll let it 'stay' quiet and not use it, just use chrome, which giving me any problems.

And to note, I wasn't able to use the VPN Feature, it simply didn't works.

Thanks anyway to point to that apps.

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    right pisthai, thanks for you test and I think that still is early for the browser turn to one good browser so waiting then :)

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Running now sandboxed (Sandboxie) latest portable version (PAF):

epic.png

Working nice and perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I already knew this about chromium based browsers.
    I can't clearly visualize how I can waste them and even if I did, I haven't noticed any detriment on performance whatsoever, well just a bit when firing up the browsers, or any sandboxied browser, yet I can live with it. Plenty of RAM I have for my daily tasks, 16 GB.
    Moreover, I like sbie to vanish all files after a browsing session as auto-delete and sandbox container is redirected to a 2 GB RAMDisk.

Question:
    What about Epic connecting to a Google domain. Found it yesterday connecting to 172.217.2.244
    Is this a privacy concern we should be aware of?

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Well I was common speaking about the Browser or sandboxing it, wasn't meant to you explicit. I know that you are aware of it because I saw that Wilders forum post of yours.

Resource wasting isn't only about 'performance' it's energy, processing power, ram,... Each process you run into sandbox costs ressources. The thing is that it's not needed because every engine adopts it already. You should be aware (and I'm think you are) that each write process on your ssd might have a negative impact on your ssd lifetime/health and the benefit cleaning temp files (which do not even have internet access) is a bit strange. As said you can e.g. isolate the local cookie policy management folder but that is the only thing what comes to my mind together with some extension folders which could be special protected. However my main point was more that such a browser not offers 'more'. As I also wrote on ghacks blog, the user.js is also a 'myth' and the reason I gave up on my project because such methods are pointless because it's more about data theft, installing firfox or the OS is usually today a 20 min task (in case of - and with a backup 10 min).

I'm not sure in what relationship this mentioned Ip stands, if that was from the browser, an addon/extension or the OS but this could be a certification check since one of their servers for such checks are in California. Without more details it's impossible to come to an conclusion.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Granted. Although energy bills here in my own particular case is no big deal for a variety of circumstances. Whatever.
    Very aware I am. That's why I set Sandboxie container to write into a RAMDisk, also Shadow Defender writes on this RAMDisk.
    That's why I run almost anything on the top of Sandboxie.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yes it was. Connected immediately to 172.217.2.244 at startup.

Offtopic: send a contact request on Skype three days ago.

12. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Sorry I'm not using Skype anymore (switched to Discord), need to remove the account from my about page - thanks for the reminder!