Erase HDD

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by jdr37, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jdr37

jdr37 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2011
    I attempted to restore my Lenovo 3000J 7387 26U desktop to factory saettings with the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery discs (4 DVDs) I burned when I first purchased the unit. Unfornunately, after running the first disc "Recovery Start Up" I can go no further. I can't get into Windows and it will not accept the "Product Recovery" discs. All I get is "Incorrect disc" and I have not been able to get any answers fron the Lenovo support sites.
    I want to erase the HDD but understand XP dosen't like that!! How can it be done? I can access BIOS and change the start drive from HDD to D.
    Dave

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Why doesnt XP like that?? Just curious......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jdr37

jdr37 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm a noob at this, but I've read that to erase the HDD in XP requires that it be donw from DOS and I have no way of getting to DOS.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Everyone with a PC can get to dos with bootdisk. bootdisk.com to start with..

You can use the XP install disc to delete partition and format the drive..You should read on the subject a bit as you will not get the results you desire otherwise...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jdr37

jdr37 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2011
    I am unable to run Ultimate Boot disc. It seems the CD drive is not booting. I'm getting an error message "The file or directory \MiniNT\setupapi.log is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk utility" which I can't do because I can't get to Windows.
    I'm really stuck!!
    Ideas??
    Dave

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi jdr37,

If you boot from a/your WindowsXP disk, just after you accept the EULA (pressing F8)
    You'll be given the option to format any Disks or Partitions in your PC.

Its the first part of doing a clean install.
    Which it looks like you'll have to do.

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Set the boot order in the bios for CD first. Then use UBCD, Killdisk, DBAN(free), or the cd and run them. There is just no reason you cannot use one of these..You can also choose boot media by pressing a function key on boot...You should not be trying to boot into windows..You have a bad copy maybe??

8. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    What I always do is take the HDD out of the computer case, and place it in an earthenware jar that I place in the ground for a full lunar cycle. I then take the HDD out and I cleanse it with eucalyptus essence and bark of the red moss tree that grows native here. I then proceed to sing over each platter until the drive feels de-stressed. Before I place it back in the computer case I let it lay among some other drives for about an hour and leave them alone so they can catch up and have their social interactions. I then put it back in the case and install Windows on it.

:p :eek:

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Trinket,
    Should you be doing some sort of Dance, while Chanting in latin, for this method to work. :D

10. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Preferably :p Methods like these are fast being forgotten. So this is why we maintain the old ways and quietly carry on the torch of traditional knowledge. One day, everyone will do this again...

:D

11. fishoil

fishoil MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    I tried the bark of the red moss tree, but had seeds spiting out when loading cd's, black walnut trees work just as good.

12. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    that is the craziest method i have ever heard of!!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

13. Rossimac

Rossimac MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    I just plug a hdd into a cradle and connect to my a computer and erase it using a Mac in the Apple Store using Disk Utility!