Error 0x80070002 setup can't find Boot.win

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by howie, Aug 1, 2015.

1. howie

howie MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2007
    I can't update window7 to window 10 keep getting error 0x80070002 setup can't find boot.win. After the first bad try. I forced microsoft to download load it three more times. thinking it may be a bad down load. If you need to do this you have:mad: to delete the files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\downloads Open Command Prompt as an administrator. Execute the following command "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". And wait till microsoft download it. Please can anyone help me with this problem. Thank you Howie

2. ReXX

ReXX MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    It's easier to download the ISO, make a USB key and install from that.

3. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Not even that, just download the iso, mount it in windows and upgrade. OP sounds like he is trying to run setup from $windows~BT and that won't work.

4. howie

howie MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2007
    Disregard this thread i'm so stupid windows 7 downloaded and tried four times to install the windows 10 update. But all four times failed to install any help would be more then greatly appreciated. Howie

5. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013
    Download orginal ISO file and copy boot.wim to folder sources in $Windows.~BT (find folder sources)!

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I had all sorts of problems trying to do the upgrade through WU. ended up upgrading with the ISO (mounted image, started install from within windows). After the upgrade I had all sorts of problems with drivers, etc, so I did a clean install with what was supposed to be a pro image (using the tool on the MS sight) and it installed home, would not activate. I ended up doing the following.

Installed as upgrade from windows to get the activation registered with MS.
    Installed with a USB drive created with the tool from MS's site, entered the Pro key for the "RTM".
    Logged into my Microsoft Account after install.

Windows was activated and I had no problems activating my office 13. The install seems much snappier than the upgrade and I am considering doing the clean install on my primary computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. howie

howie MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2007
    What to have some fun try to delete $Windows-bt or save it to another hard drive. I tried changing the Security setting for the folder and took ownership of the folder. And still got the error must have administrator permission to delete this folder. Howie