Error installing a photo editing progarm; invalid folder name for the Common Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by videobruce, Mar 21, 2014.

1. videobruce

videobruce MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Windows 7, sp1, no hotfixes, x64, hidden (or super) Admin. account

I'm getting this error;
    Windows is not providing a valid folder name for the "Common Desktop" folder. I tried several searches, but it's such a odd error message. I could see a message that it couldn't find a folder, but not providing a proper name?

The program that is giving me the error is ThumbsPlus V8. I have installed at least 25 other programs prior to this error with little issue (other than it's Windows 7). I un-installed V8 and installed V7 of the same program with no error.

Any guess what that error message is suppose to mean?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    #2 Carlos Detweiller, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Call Regedit.exe, navigate to the following key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    What does it show for "Common Desktop"? Mine is "%PUBLIC%\Desktop", with %PUBLIC% being "C:\Users\Public". Does it show the same for you? And does that directory exist?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks.
    I tried a slightly older version of the program (V8 vs V8 sp1) and I had no such error. I dumped the install so I unfortunately can't check.
    The current install does show what you posted, but there is no issue here. It's just such an odd error message.

Slightly OT, but why did you use the 'Code' function to type in that string?

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    If the Windows settings are OK it might be a bug in the program installer itself. Especially since other versions work... o_O

5. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    The only thing about that is, I had it successfully installed in a previous O/S install. These are all RT7 Lite installs. That's why I dumped the failed version. I wish they had a "Portable" version. ;)

6. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    #6 videobruce, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    (OP)
    Trying again and to answer the previous question, yes, it shows the same thing "%PUBLIC%\Desktop".

But in the "C:\Users\Public" there is no "Desktop" folder. I added the folder and the install seemed to go Ok. Gotta love these misdirected error messages. Not properly named and missing are two completely different issues. :mad:

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Must not be Windows related! Could be the install script of the apps you like to install!

code tags are used for to paste and classify program codes. It's very useful for to separate from Quotes and other tags.

8. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    It was indirectly, but lame on either case. Why would/should a missing folder (which is empty) have anything to do with this or any other program?? Between M$ and their three abortions one after another (V, W7 & W8) and some of these software coders, it's hard to tell which is worse. :rolleyes:

Ok on the code tags.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Again, also that could be because of a not so precize install script of that apps! One possibility is, that those program is looking for some folder in an protected other folder like the hidden ProgarmData on C Drive or the hidden AppData in the User folder! Could also be on an other protected location. Fact is that with start of Vista MS has changed quite a bit policies regarding installation of applications. Maybe you could find a clue in the Event Log.

10. videobruce

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks. It's just not worth the time since I found out where the problem is.