Error - The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dvass, Jan 30, 2011.

1. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    Hello to the Forum,

A virus infected my Driverstore/FileRepository - Windows 7 directory, where my CanonScan LiDe200 drivers were stored (between others).

Antivirus (RemoveIT) suggested to manually delete two of the directories of the above listed directory.

I didn't have any clue about what I was deletin', 'cause I was not familiar with that specific directory (which is a bit strange).

I have also to confess that I didn't make any backup of the above folders.
    As a result I'm not having a scanner right now.

So, everytime I'm trying to re-install the driver (in this or that way - letting the system or manually), I'm having a code-28 problem (The drivers for this device are not installed).

System seems that is not recognizing the original drivers from Canon, while is trying to install them.

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
    To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

What shall I do, about having back my scanner ?
    I'm currently having an iMac 27", i5, 2,66GHz with a Bootcamp partition (NTFS formated), with Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

Thank U in advance for your interest.
    VAD

2. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
  3. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Just an idea....
    You may try finding and installing an older version of the driver (manually) and then update to the current version. May be that fixes your folders...

4. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    Hey,
    Listen dakota42784, first of all I see that you would like to be thanked...
    The problem here is that I can write as many thanks as you like, but I beleive that you forget something...
    In my country people usually say thanks when they do their job.
    And as I can see your answer is giving me not only a good solution, but NO solution at all...

If I didn't know from where to download my scanner's drivers, I wouldn't posted this thread.

You know, it's not so easy !

I'm not a Microsoft expert but I'm around personal computing for over 20yrs.
    I'm not also a Windows 7 expert, I know how to operate from inside out Windows OS, but there are some things I miss and don't know, like the Driverstore/FileRepository directory for example and how it works...

Anyway, I don't wanna go further, but I think that you might didn't understand the fact that I CAN'T install ANY CANON DRIVER at all, because while the system is attempting to install it, (and that's from the CANON -either US or the EU support site) the same time responds:
    "there is no driver selected for the device information set or element"

And this is because the system lost the chain with the "database" or the accepted (if you want - signatured) drivers stored in FileRepository directory. (I deleted them)

That's what I said. Is there any way to restore, recover or something like that this directory, either bypass this installation method and do something else... adding manually for example...

And please don't tell me to re-install Windows.
    This is the easy way...

VAD

5. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Can't you just copy the missing folders from another Windows 7 machine?

6. seniorgeek1969

seniorgeek1969 MDL Junior Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Not for nothing can you do a system restore on a bootcamp install?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    "You Ungrateful Son of A Gun"...............................With that Attitude, don't expect any help now..:p:worthy::boxing::boxing:

8. FukenGruven

FukenGruven MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #8 FukenGruven, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    #9 dvass, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks a lot FukenGruven,

I'll give a try to CCleaner to make a registry scan or maybe a manual scan instead... HKLM (maybe)

Thank you also seniorgeek1969 and
    Tripa, your suggestions are more than welcome...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tripa, regarding copying I have to say that I checked with another windows 7 ultimate machine....,
    but with no luck, 'cause CNQxxxx folders are missing from that DriverStore/FileRepository folder...

seniorgeek1969, regarding the BootCamp restore, I took a disc image of it but since then, passed a lng time and the ProgramFiles folder changed a lot though...so as you understand I have to re-install all that stuff again...
    But maybe I'll give it a try..., as a last effort.

Thank you all again for your replies and help...
    VAD

Thread is still open ...

10. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Yes, probably the "CNQxxxx" folders are missing until you install your scanner.

Sorry for my previous short answer, but I meant you can install your scanner on another computer in your home, and then copy the folders.

edit----> or ir you have a Virtual Machine in yours, you can do that in the VM. <---- edit

CCleaner is a good idea, maybe that's a simpler solution.

regards

11. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    disregard what I said about the VM. Thinking again I don't think your scanner will install on a VM, if it is not correctly installed on the host machine.
    sorry.

12. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Just a couple of hints that might help.
    First, remove that Anti-virus you have, there are lots of free and good AV that you can use (Avira, Avast).
    Second, there are two "code 28" errors , device manager - where you have issues and system error which is a different story.
    Third, code 28 error in most of the cases is related to usb devices, so try changing usb cable that you connect your device and try a different usb port.

One more thing from my personal experience, if a program did not uninstall properly (especially registry part) you could end up formatting your hard drive unless the company provided a tool to do a clean removal.

13. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    Tripa,
    don't bother at all, your interest on really helping people is obvious...
    I'm still trying to find something.

Regards,
    MGracias
    VAD

14. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    Ibega, thanks for your reply
    I'm working on what you wrote....regarding Avirus... (I'm currently using AVG Internet Suite..2011)
    I checked with the cable thing.... I tried directly to pluged it in on iMac USB port rather on USB hub... and nothing happened...

Write back soon...
    Regards,
    VAD

15. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm writing back regarding the DriverStore Directory.
    This is what MSDN Library says about it.

Starting with Windows Vista, the driver store is a trusted collection of inbox and third-party driver packages. The operating system maintains this collection in a secure location on the local hard disk. Only the driver packages in the driver store can be installed for a device.

When a driver package is copied to the driver store, all of its files are copied. This includes the INF file and all files that are referenced by the INF file. All files that are in the driver package are considered critical to the device installation. The INF file must reference all of the required files for device installation so that they are present in the driver store. If the INF file references a file that is not included in the driver package, the driver package is not copied to the store.

The process of copying a driver package to the driver store is called staging. A driver package must be staged to the driver store before the package can be used to install any devices. As a result, driver staging and device installation are separate operations.

A driver package is staged to the driver store by being verified and validated:

Verifying the driver package integrity.

Software integrity has become a top priority for IHVs and OEMs. Concerned by the increase in malicious software on the Internet, these customers want to be sure that their software has not been tampered with or corrupted.

Before a driver package is copied to the driver store, the operating system first verifies that the digital signature is correct. For more information about digital signatures, see Driver Signing.

Validating the driver package.

The operating system validates the driver package in the following ways:

The current user must have permission to install the driver package.
    The INF file of the driver package is syntactically correct, and all files referenced by the INF files are present in the driver package.
    After a driver package has passed integrity and syntax checks, it is copied to the driver store. Afterwards, the operating system uses the driver package to automatically install new devices without requiring user interaction.

VAD
    Keep Tryin'

16. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    iMac? what OS you have? and it's ibeqa not ibega :)

17. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    On MacOSX, 10.6.5
    and as you already know
    on Bootcamp, Windows 7 Ultimate.

I need glasses for the q...., ibeqa

VAD

18. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    dvass, if you remove your scanner from usb and then plug it on again, what does it say - can't install the driver or what?
    Did you try extracting the driver to a folder in desktop and than manually go to device manager ->update driver->browse my computer for driver software, this way you can go to the folder where you extracted driver.
    This worked for me when installed audio driver (ad1888) on my old mobo.

I don't know anything about MacOSX, that's why I did not know about Bootcamp :)

19. dvass

dvass MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    ibeqa, listen I have done al the things you just mentioned on your post.

Attached is the printscreen of the situation.

Regarding the extraction I did it both ways and always in mybook external HDD where I'm holding all of my drivers from the vendors.
    Speaking about both ways I'm saying either extracting them in a folder (lide200vst1403ea24) where three folders are located (Driver-DrvSetup and README) and also leting the self executable "lide200vst1403ea24.exe" from Canon to deploy and make the installation.
    As about the Update Driver Softare method I did it both ways (either from Windows Update and ofcourse seejing for the driver folder by myself).
    The solution you see it on my Attachement.

Believe me regarding the Bootcamp thing, its not the problem...
    Windows behave the same except the system needs Apple drivers for some hardware to work...
    This is seem to DriverStore/FileRepository lost its hierarchy...some how... deleting manually the specified folder...

VAD

Attached Files:

20. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Well my friend I don't know what to say anymore except try system restore. Try restoring your system before you deleted those two folders.
    If it helps than you scan them with a different AV but don't delete them. Anyway, first thing first - go for system restore.

Cheers