Error: Windows 8.1 pro N doesn't recognize windows phone devices

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by fav258, Nov 25, 2013.

1. fav258

fav258 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2013
    I have installed windows 8.1 pro N final which has been activated by phone. I thought there was no significant differences between pro N and pro except windows media player. But my computer cannot recognize my Lumia 520 phone as a portable devices or something like that. In devices manager, there was a yellow triangle with an (!) on RM-914 Lumia 520 ( my phone) line. Anyone has a solution to solve that problem ?

2. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Reboot phone while plugged into PC?

Install Nokia Suite?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fav258

fav258 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2013
    Neither ways works. I reckon that the problem relies on drivers. I mean windows pro N lack driver for my phone, and it cannot browse internet to look for it

4. eydee

eydee Guest

If it really depends on being N or non-N, just install the media feature pack and you'll be good to go. However, I'd be surprised if really that was the problem.

5. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I had the same problem with an iPad on Windows 8.1 Enterprise N. iTunes installed ok and I could access my device through it, but it did not appear in the list of removable devices in file explorer and I could not access the pictures I took. I had a yellow exclamation point in device manager next to my iPad device, just like you.

I also had a problem reading youtube videos; after an update to the flash componenent, internet explorer started crashing when reading videos encoded in h.264. Old flash animations worked fine.

All problems solved when I switched to Windows 8.1 Enterprise (I had this option through my MSDN subsciption), even with multimedia components removed after installation.

There seems to be a lot of little things missing in "N" editions, in addition to the multimedia parts of the OS. I don't know if installing the media feature pack on an "N" edition would also install these missings parts, cause I didn't try it, but that would be an interesting thing to test. I think I'll try it in a VM.

6. feisme

feisme MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    Iaqk, i encountered the same problem with you on my iPhone. I got the problem solved without reinstall the windows. I simply add the Media Feature pack to my Windows 8.1 Pro N. It does the tricks after restart :)

Google for [h=1]Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 8.1[/h]