ESET Smart Security 4 complaining about HackKMS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by huge1, Dec 5, 2010.

1. huge1

huge1 MDL Novice

May 13, 2009
    I have Windows 7 Pro, activated using the EZ-Activator published on MDL. I am getting popup windows complaining of the "potentially unwanted application" HackKMS. I'm having some other malware issues, so I want to be careful about what I do with my security settings.

What can I do to not jeopardize my system security but allow my windows activation to remain in place? Is it as easy as excluding HackKMS in ESET settings? (sorry - I'm a bit new to ESET)

If your immediate response is "ESET sucks - use something else", feel free to tell me that.

thanks for any assistance you can provide...

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    dude, the KMS is getting flagged by a lot of different AV providers, it is not risky at all, I would just make an exception in ESET for HackKMS then you will not get the warnings anymore. I have learned that ESET is actually a very good product, at least their AV anyway. I have heard that the firewall is not so great but that the AV is amazing. I would not trash it just for that reason in other words. Just use the exception.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. huge1

huge1 MDL Novice

May 13, 2009
    Thanks for the helpful reply (DUDE!). That was more or less what I suspected, that it was a false positive (depending on how you look at it I guess - I mean HackKMS is certainly an unwanted application from some points of view)

I'll figure out how to exclude it from ESS warning.

Do others agree that ESET AV is very good but the firewall not so much?

thanks again

4. chianf092

chianf092 MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I have used ESET for a long time, yes the AV is very good. I don't care for their firewall too much because even when you put in ports to forward it still blocks them, or it limits the speed through those ports. In your ESET you click on "tell me if I have potentially unwanted programs." that is literally why it is having a fit about that HackKMS. To ESET it shows it as a foreign object so it will alert you, if you go into Advanced mode of ESET just click on Exclusions and select the HackKMS and you wont get anymore warnings.

5. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    I use the KMS for office 2010 along with ESET and after i added it to the list, I have not recived any popup again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Yea that is normal when you add exceptions. The ony exception to that rule is if the firewall blocks it like Norton does but that is an easy fix of secting the emulator and changing it from blocked to allowed lol.

7. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Have been using EAV for a long time....to me..its one of the best!
    Don't like the ESS though.

8. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    yup just add it to the list no big deal