ESXi 4.0 VMware Tools install on some VMs but not on others

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by ft@t@lk, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ft@t@lk

ft@t@lk MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2011
    no formal training on VMware

have 1 esxi 4.0 server (patched fully) and am not able to install VMware Tools on a VM (it's a domain controller if it matters)

VM is on, tried right-click on VM inside vCenter console and selected Install/Upgrade VMware Tools and get message in Tasks pane saying Initiated VMware Tools Installer Mount and it completes OK

and that's it; but then I check in Summary TAB of the VM and it says VMware Tools: Not installed

I installed VMware tools on other VMs on another esxi 4.0 server that is not even fully patched and I can see in Summary tab for my VMs VMware Tools: Installed

what am I missing?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 kubato, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    1st there are two "control centers as you call them"
    A simple one that has functions and is run by connecting directly to the esxi server via the web.
    A much more advanced one that is for running mutiple esxi servers and san. This is the one you want to install. On your 1st esxi server install a vm windows 2003/2008 server. Set up an ip for this and then install the full VMware vCenter Server on the Windows VM. This is what you want to use, It appears the same but, has many more items and tools that can be installed here but, not on the basic one that runs directly on the esxi server. and No you cannot install Vcenter on your basic esxi server it must be on a windows box but, that can be installed in a VM.
    Hope this makes sense but, you will get the idea and once you get vcenter running you will see the difference between the striped down base esxi "control center" and the full featured vcenter server.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Did you actually tun the setup.exe of the mounted CD inside the VM?

sebus

4. ft@t@lk

Apr 15, 2011
    I already have the full vCenter Server installed on a physical server running on Windows 2003

what setup.exe? of VMware Tools? I thought the esxi server has the VMware Tools package which it then sends to the VM when asked for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    The iso is mounted as CDROM & if you have autorun disabled it will just sit there & not run

Just run it manually

The whole is not magical, simply VMTools iso gets mounted, setup is run, tools install, VM reboots, tools start

sebus

6. ft@t@lk

Apr 15, 2011
    is this on the vCenter Server, ESXi 4 or vSphere 4 CD-ROM? from what I can see I cannot download VMware Tools as an ISO only

and like I said, the other VMs I did manage to install VMware Tools on, I did not have any issues; simply right-clicked the VM and selected Install VMware Tools

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It is the CDROM inside the VM

Maybe time for formal training?

sebus

8. ft@t@lk

Apr 15, 2011
    great work sebus....:worthy:

I figured it out with your help - and with no formal training either lmao

it was the CD-ROM drive that was set in the VM config as Database ISO file (like you said), changed it to Host Device and it showed up in the VM's CD-ROM drive; was able to install it manually in the VM from there

9. _Cyber_

_Cyber_ MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2011
    is there a reason why you stay on 4.0? 4.1 provides USB-support... i missed this feature for years in esxi thats why I am pointing to it ;)

>>>Cyber