Ethernet Cable causes Blue Screen? tf

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iMPossibl, Apr 14, 2012.

1. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    #1 iMPossibl, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hey there, recently I have wanted to do a firmware update, and realised I can't do it over wLAN so I decided to opt for ethernet cable connection, and as soon as I put it in, windows had a BSOD.

It's not the ethernet cables fault, i have tried it on multiple devices, and works fine.

I have a HP pavillion dv6750ea laptop,
    a netgear dgn1000 as a router.

This is what shows up on the blue screen:
    Code:
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
    STOP: 0X000000D1 more random numbers to hard to copy blah blah
    vsdatant.sys - address blah blah more random numbers
    Also, tried hbhb suggestion, but didn't work.

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Definitely read the BSOD error as it may provide clues,then check the Ethernet driver, maybe uninstall and let windows install for ya. That will be my start:D

3. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Check the original post.

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    That file doesnt seem to have much to do with Ethernet.. What AV do u have?

5. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    It's definetly not something to do with AV because I have ESET Smart Security 5 & Zone alarm ( which i have heard could possibly be the cause of this ) but it only happens as soon as I insert an ethernet cable, not a cd or a USB.

But to be safe, should I uninstall Zone Alarm and install Comodo Firewall?

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I've had this happen. The Ethernet connection may not be "hot swappable" friendly on your system. Shutdown the computer, attached the cable and restart.

7. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    #7 iMPossibl, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
    (OP)
    Bulls**t.

It's been working great before, realised what kind of fool I was. Of course this is the fu**ing firewalls problem.. :mad: Uninstalling it, and keeping it to a simple matter of just: Eset Smart Security & Malwarebytes Pro.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I once went to the doctor because I kept having a sharp pain in my right shoulder every time I raised my right hand over my head and back over my neck. The doctor's instructions were, "Stop doing that". Valuable life lesson there ... with or without the bulls**t.

9. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    download whos crashed and that will tell you.

10. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Cool story bro. Could I get some fries with that?

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Sorry, I offer only cheese to go along with whine.

12. Captain Planet

Captain Planet MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2012
    I have stopped using ZoneAlarm firewall because it has been causing systems to hang up. You can tell if it's going to happen by placing the cursor over the ZA icon in the tool tray and the popup bubble says "UI is initializing". It never stops 'initializing', you have to reboot the system until it loads properly. I build custom systems and have had to remove ZA and instead went with Comodo firewall. No problems other than I found that Comodo causes my Matrox RTx100 drivers to hang when loading Adobe Premiere Pro. Since that system doesn't need net access (old NLE editing system running XP Pro) I pulled the network cable and uninstalled Comodo. I've used ZA for years but I've heard that they have gone to crap since being acquired by CheckPoint.