Europe Approves Microsoft Purchase of Skype

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by x86, Oct 8, 2011.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    This actually took place few months ago, but only finalised recently with EU Commission's blessing on the deal :rolleyes:

I wonder how this could affect Windows... Could this mean that we will have 'Skype' integrated into future Windows releases and that will subsequently lead to a Skype-less Windows S edition (as for WMP with N/KN editions) :D

2. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    I'd imagine they'll integrate Skype into W7 Phone/Mobile or whatever they call their phone OS, and have some integration between phones and PC's especially since they want to put W8 on everything.

On one hand, I don't like bloatware, on the other, it's nice to have stuff I do used baked into the OS to have one less app to download and install and deal with. Finally never going to need UltraISO/VirtualCloneDrive again for one example. Don't know if they will do that to Skype like WMP. I think not having WMP is stupid. I can understand IE happening due to the Netscape thing, but not having a media player without downloading something and installing is total bull.

I imagine MS is going to get less crap with the US letting them off anti-trust watch and iOS/Android devices steadily gaining market share.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    What will happen to Skype after Microsoft acquires it:

1. Skype will be offered as a Windows Update with a related entry in the knowledge base.
    2. There will be regular security patches for Skype, about 2 dozen of which will be downloaded immediately as soon as Skype itself is installed. (also see: Microsoft Office)
    3. There will be knowledge base articles to the tune of "Skype fails to acquire video from an USB webcam when you open the CD tray while using RegEdit."
    4. Skype will be integrated with Remote Desktop, allowing you to see your conversation partner in a window within the remote desktop.
    5. Skype will eventually be renamed into Windows Live Video Chat.

:D

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The Mac and Linux versions should remain as they are but I would expect the Windows version to eventually be merged with the Windows Live Essentials suite.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #5 x86, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
    (OP)
    Most likely. I just hope it would be more like a feature, so that we are given the choice of skipping it. Generally speaking it is convenient when such basic functionality is provided by Windows, but the downside is that such tools can't match 3rd party apps in terms of features / customisation. Sure you can record / copy a DVD using the build-in Windows tool, but you can't do anything further than that i.e. convert amongst other image formats, chose file system, recording method, advanced customisation etc. As for WMP, I just leave it there and use it only in cases that MPC / VLC can't handle certain filters properly. Meaning - very rarely. I just hate build-in Windows tools such as WMP, as they often do things without my consent. I have all types of 'communication' switched off within the WMP preferences, but it still tries to connect wherever it feels like & whenever it feels like it :mad: Just run TCPview whilst online, start WMP and you will see what I mean. I don't know what kind of data is sent when it does that, and that makes me very unconformable into such an extend, that I have configured the firewall to block any type of network activity ... on certain tools tied-up to the OS itself :sad3:

I can see that happening alright. Only reason they haven't done so already, is because they are forced to wait for people to get used to the transition. Everybody knows Skype (i.e. brand name) and that publicity needs to be retained somehow. I just think that once they absorb those users and get them to use 'Windows Live Video Chat' (or whatever they ll call it), there will be nothing left of the original Skype - as if it never existed. I remember back in the days when nVidia aquired 3dfx. It's not just a case of using the technology (3dfx was a step ahead of nVidia in the gaming graphics solutions...) but more likely a strategic move - that of eliminating their competitors. So, in the end it is Skype vs MSN Messenger ... 0-1 :rolleyes: