Ever Had 1x4GB DDR2 RAM ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jime1, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi,

My PC : https://forums.mydigitallife.net/attachments/config-jpg.32857/

My build is quiet old now, and now the DDR2 2x2GBs of RAM is not able to handle my browsing habits on Firefox.
    My mobo does support 2x4GBs of RAM and I've searched online for a 1x4GB DDR2, but surprisingly its a rare thing to find, it probably does not even exist ! : (
    Has any of you tried to search or ever had 1x4GB DDR2 RAM ?

Thanks.

2. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    If you make any changes in about:config they get saved to the user.js file?

4. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  6. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Sir, but the same is not available on ebay.in : (

7. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
  8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #8 Joe C, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Many will ship overseas, It will cost more but what else can you do?

9. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    But Sir, isn't it really overpriced ?

10. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    There is always an option to buy used, if RAM upgrade is your primary goal.

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1. Your problem isn't the DDR 4GB (ie 2x2GB), but something else;
    2. no matter, what adblocker you use, it will not change nothing, because all ad blockers only makes blocked content invisible and nothing more. Everything will be downloaded but You simply will not see them and it means that the memory usage don't change, only changes this memory useage, what used by desktop loader, ie Desktop Window Manager (program name is dwm.exe located in folder Windows\System32).
    In some older computers it uses very much memory, sometimes it is 45%-50%, there is only one thing, what You can do - always close all not-in-use windows. Notthing else don't help.
    But if You said, You have 4GB RAM, it is absolutely enough to work with any browser, including even Firefox 64-bit browser, in 64-bit latest Windows version.
    There is no needs to look for more RAM for current computer, but You may want to begin think about buying newer computer. This the way what helps You to get better performence.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    yes, ram is still over priced.
    There's not much anybody can do about that. If you really need to upgrade that DDR2 and there is none available locally, then you'll have to pay more

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  14. I've used the word 'most' when i said what adblockers block in true way.
    but it seems odd that you don't want to believe the ublock origin (open source) author words on how it block ads.
    do you not know the fact that if adblocker creates a host list of ad servers and then use it against incoming network then all of those ad data simply cant enter your browser.
    the same way how blokada blocks ads on android, it creates a host list of adservers and use it against internal vpn and whole android become ad free.

but if still doesn't satisfy you then do a simple test, set your connection limit to 10 KBps, now goto any heavy and big ad site and test the site with ublock origin off and on in incognito mode in different sessions, and see if with ublock origin enabled, site loads faster or not.
    i have done this test and you can see big difference in overall time in loading.

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Of course I know, how to use rules which can be usually added to hosts file, and can You imagine, even this I know, that the same rules can be handled by uBlock Origin and much more know. But this all isn't related to this topics and will not help anyway make old computers better than they are. So this talk is out of this topic...
    So, thank You very much for this hard work what You've done to teaching me. Good luck to You. Learning beautifies human! :D

16. Actually it makes a difference, if anyone is using 10 year old system with around 2 gb ram and not using adblocker and thinks that his web experience is sluggish, in that case ublock origin will make a difference on a very noticeable level.

17. Old Fudge

Old Fudge MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2018
    What can help is to disable the Windows services you don't need. Also use the 64 bit OS instead of 32 bit. That way you'll get all 4 gigs of memory instead of 3.2-3.5 gigs.

Best of all, use Linux. :cool:

18. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Ok Sir, what windows services can I disable ?
    I already have 64bit of it !
    I too know Linux is the best but I'm not in the state of mind to use Linux : (