Excel data entry form

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Bosh, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
  2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Maybe you can save it in a csv file? The info is just stored a plain text, and so it's not as complicated as a real excel file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    Thanks, the problem is that I need the info as a little database. And might need to modify the database in excel, and the person doing this is not very skilled. I want to minimize the error.

It would be great if I could just open an excel file, then a pop up with the form is on top of the spreadsheet. I just type the data, click OK, and then I can just look around in the excel file.

PS: edited the first post to clarify things

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #4 zahnoo, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    You can set up a separate Input sheet and have it's keyed data replicated into a protected Data sheet. The format of the Data sheet can be whatever you want it to be. Once the data is there you can manipulate it any wany you want to.

But the permanent solution to your problem is to raise the skill level of those that are "not very skilled". I've used spreadsheet programs extensively going back decades to Visicalc. There's no substutite for proper training. Not everybody needs to be a power user as I had to be, but if their skills are so low you don't want them touching the actual data, i'd say you need to do some extensive training.

If what you need is a database, you need to be using Access. Access is not that bad to learn and it lends itself well to blind input sheets that feed the actual database.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...