Exchange 2010 + users with huge email archives. what to do??

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by luckman212, Feb 17, 2011.

1. luckman212

luckman212 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2008
    hi guys, i've been tasked with managing an Exchange 2010 server at an office where I do desktop support. The server is a Dell R410 with an internal 500GB RAID 1 and no additional storage. Boot drive & Exchange data are all on the same RAID 1 drive. There's about 40 mailboxes on this server, and storage is about 50% full already. I am worried about storage because it grows every day of course. Yes I do have a daily backup but that's about it.

I've got 2 questions for anyone with some more knowledge than me in this area:

1) whats the best kind of storage to add to this server? i want to get some kind of external raid drive, and move the exchange databases onto those so it runs faster & gets additional redundancy. I am thinking of getting some kind of iSCSI enclosure, or a fiber channel raid. What are some good ones these days? I want to have about 4TB

2) the users are archiving mail to local PSTs, which are not getting backed up (yikes). Is there some way to move these archives onto a centralized storage area so it can be backed up, managed etc? But also remain searchable? (users like to search through email from 4 years ago from time to time). The clients are all using Outlook 2007.

thanks guys!!!

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. luckman212

luckman212 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2008
    Thanks, I'll watch it

4. gAnDo

gAnDo MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2010
    Personal Archives will help too

hxxp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979795.aspx