Exploit detector - KB940510

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by thepfy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. thepfy

thepfy MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2008
    #1 thepfy, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. SharkCB

SharkCB MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2007
    I tested this "update" on SP1 system with moded BIOS (ASUS board and ASUS certificate). After install connected Vista to internet (i allowed this connection in my firewall) and is still genuine :D

3. thepfy

thepfy MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2008
    have you tried a reboot?

Sounds like it only detects Paradox...

4. westmassguy

westmassguy MDL Junior Member

May 7, 2007
    #4 westmassguy, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
    Same here.
    Installed it on my DFI system, Vista SP1 with Asus Modded BIOS, and it's still activated.
    Might not have phoned home yet though.
    Have to watch what happens.
    I have rebooted several times too.

5. westmassguy

westmassguy MDL Junior Member

May 7, 2007
    Update...
    Just installed it on my ASRock 939Dual SATA2 system, Vista SP1, Asus Modded BIOS, and it too is still activated.

6. SharkCB

SharkCB MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2007
    Sorry, i forgot write this important fact. Of course, i rebooted.

7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    It is already widely spread & known this "Exploit detector" only detects paradox & timerstop hacks.

8. L.F.B.

L.F.B. MDL Junior Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I've instal this update KB940510

Restart the machine and till now is working ok....

My Vista is the Nope pre activaded version... i don't know what kind of crack is... is this a loader crack?

9. gm50

gm50 MDL Novice

May 6, 2007
    I've tested this on several systems with a variety of cracks.
    Happy to say bios modded systems and the bootloader mod are not detected as exploits.

Looks like M$ just went for the widespread easy cracks that are easy to detect.

Paradox crack (driver)=detected
    Time Crack (activation grace exploit)= detected
    Bios Mod=Not detected
    Vista Loader (boot loader)=not detected

When an acitvation exploit is found tt doesn't disable the system to reduced functionality mode like before..it just nags you to death got get genuine.

10. macabre

macabre MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2007
    #10 macabre, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
    I have been using a testmachine with Vista Home Premium, used the
    OEM.BIOS.EMULATOR and updated, it went wrong. Only 15 days to activate, after udating KB940510.
    Deleted all the stuff, the crack with VOATKToolsV2.5 Stand Alone and restarted. (UAC disabled.)
    Disabled UAC again and installed MS Windows Vista Developer activation and I was a genuine!!
    No bios slic or anything else, just on a pure PC.
    So far so good.

11. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007

Can I be the first to say: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

Stupid Microsoft..... My SP1 Install is also working fine with the Bios Mod by FZeven... Looks like all our fears were for naught....

12. thezman

thezman MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    with the vista loader i am still genuwine as well.. i guess this does only do the paradox and timer stop

13. qpok

qpok MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    Could somebody please enlighten me what's the point of this update as one can just never install it. As far as I understand this update doesn't have to be installed to further use Windows Update?

14. gollum

gollum MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
    #14 gollum, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    The point is, to collect Data and learn and make statistics and find out wether or not them fu** biatches should go on pestering people with nasty nag screens or rather force them to buy vista.
    Thats my guess. Since half the feckin world sits on top of Paradox-activated machines they will pretty well be able to tell afterwards how many percent of pirated copies are floating about the market.
    so if they believe its bad for business they can go do something about it. If they believe that the pirate-share of the market is just big enough to help further dominate the software world, they will do **** all since it would pretty much mean shootin their own foot wouldn't it?
    MS loves a good share of stolen windows. It just makes them keep control.
    And they said themselves some time ago that vista topped development costs already three month after release. so every cent they get means pure profit these days. they dont need to sell more than they do i bet. they are happy as jack flash with everyone using vista and them having a fair bit of profit plus nearly 90% of the OS Market.

And BTW: KB940510 doesn't even detect a VMware Machine activated with some stupid selfmade ASUS Slic Biosfile.

I'm pretty sure MS could detect a Bios Mod if they really wanted to. They just dont give a ****.

15. solracna

solracna MDL Member

Nov 3, 2007
    I have Paradox hack installed in my notebook.
    I disabled the KB940510 update and I still keep receiving Vista updates after that with no problems.
    solracna

16. thezman

thezman MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    this update sucks.. i think its screwed up some things for me. after this my firefox is not working righ and i have had 2 unexpected shutdowns. this was on a computer that is 100% legit no mods at all.. arghhh

17. qpok

qpok MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    #17 qpok, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  18. gollum

gollum MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, yeah maybe but i'm rather sure those 1,3 Billion don't really do them harm, honestly.

Gotta post some update on my VMware Vista though:
    Allthough it did not have any Problems with that kb940510 it did not accept installation of service pack 1, failed with some unidentifiable error. after a reboot it did show that little nag screen /this copy of windows is not genuine" in the bottom right corner. it did say activated though. weird isn't it?
    after another reboot that nag was gone.
    looking at the CBS Log, i found some errors before roll-back started. One said WindowsPKeyCheck Failed. I did not really understand the log though.
    I had the same CBS Log errors, when i tried to run SP1 on my physical machine, which is activated with a SLIC Bios from China4Ever.
    I'm not sure but my guesses go towards MS actually identifying some of the modded Bioses. Which would really be a blow.
    Yesterday i was very sure that this would never happen.
    It kinda suxx.

19. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear gollum!

I dont think they will identify your modded BIOS.
    You wrote "WindowsPKeyCheck Failed"

So, take another Key which is for your Version of Vista and all is good!

Bye

20. gollum

gollum MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Hehehehe...
    I wish it was that simple...
    I had that Ultimate Key plus the right Cert and Slic i was always using. It is the universal ultimate key nearly everyone is using plus the appropriate asus id's.
    Anyways, i believe i did misinterprete the log somehow. i suppose that error was refferring to something else.
    SP1 Install went fine the second time i tried. And the KB940510 exited without notice. So everything should be fine. Theoretically.
    Dunno what is going wrong there.