Explorer / Applications (MS Office 2k7 - esp PPT) lockup - seen in all Win7 versions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ph03n!x, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Hi folks!

have been using various builds - right from 7000 - both x32 and x64 in a production environment to test how it stands.

Have been working pretty nice, except for a bug that am observing right from 6801...

Here are my rough observations:

Working on files saved on the desktop - PPT or Word docs - will lead the app (MS Word or Powerpoint) to lockup during open / save activity - can't bet on it, but happens most of the times.

If the following options are unchecked in Folder Options > View, then the same can be observed at randon when opening a folder with a lot of files - docs, xls, ppts, jpgs...
    • Always show icons, never thumbnails (should be unchecked)
    • Display the file icon on thumbnails (should be unchecked)

When the app is locked, it will probably not end - forced or through task manager - and will stay stuck for a long long time.

When the app is hung, logging off or restarting will take ages, and the system will seem stuck at logging off or shutting down for a long long long time, and sometime may not jus do it. Also, there may be an explorer thread tht is stuck too...

I have been NOT saving anything on desktop, and checked the two options - did not bother doing a RCA to find which one fixes the prob...

Not sure if anyone tried this, and not sure if it is a combination of my installed stuff - but weird it is happening in 7, and not in vista or xp with the same / equivalent apps and configuration...

2. dvader

dvader MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2009
    been using word, outlook and excel 2007 on build 7000 and build 7057 both x32 and x64 and have not had any issues.

3. BroTuck

BroTuck MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2009
    No problems over here, maybe you are using a not-fully-supported AV scanner ?

4. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Well, I use McAfee Enterprise 8.7i - never had a problem with it. But ya, I will see if I get the problem without McAfee installed.

Are you guys using it in a production kind of an environment, where you have a lot of file in varying sizes & features, or home use?

5. taoxv88

taoxv88 MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Hello ph03n!x,
    your problem seems to be the same problem I had when I had MagicISO installed my symptoms were but not limited to:
    If you used Explorer for anything it would randomly freeze or just hang,
    You couldn't log off because it would take 4ever,
    You couldn't save anything in most programs because at the saving or opening or anything that had to do with reading/writing to the disks made the app hang and then you had use task manager to kill it.so in essence you could use MagicISO's MagicDisc only when explorer was off and as long as you didn't use anything to save anything.
    I read about people having the same problem with Daemon tools and other ISO mounters and by the looks of it I don't know if this was fixed in build 7057 but in 7000 it is still an Issue.
    Long story short,the problem is that you probably have a ISO mounter installed and it is messing with your install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    The problem descripted on post 1 happens to me too... With severall programs actually. Being Office one of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    hey taoxv88! i definitely do not have an iso mounter / virtual drive or anything installed... I have zeroed in on McAfee Enterprise 8.7, and explorer writing to disk or reading extended file information. Everything is working fine with Kaspersky beta for Win 7 / AVG Free.

But looks like there IS something more to dig out - the symptoms you have described matches what I had word-for-word (except that I did not install Daemon tools or Magic ISO) :confused:

8. rMutt

rMutt MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I have been having this problem with explorer. There will be a process running, using alot of memory and i will not be able to end it no matter what. this does actually happen when i use things on the desktop. I have symantec endpoint protection running, but i dont think it has anything to do with it since no one else here seems to be running it.
    when i try to restart the computer it takes forever and i pretty much always break down and do a hard reset.
    this has been a more and more disturbing problem for me in the last few days.

9. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Well, as odd as it may seem - try getting rid of the Symantec - you never know :)

Also look out for Magic ISO or Daemon tools... keep us posted!

10. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    SEP is NOT compatible with Windows 7. That is your problem is that SEP is screwing your system up.

11. rMutt

rMutt MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    why do you think its not compatible? it installed without a hitch, and the problem I'm having with the explorer process is occurring to other people not running SEP as well...

12. isd503

isd503 MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2009
    Naughty! Naughty!

SEP is by far, the best antivirus program on the market today. However, there is no Windows 7 version of SEP available to the public at this time, so you'd better not load it onto a machine running Windows 7.

I tried to install the latest (I have access to the latest and greatest corporate version of the software) Vista SEP version onto Windows 7 and it failed repeatedly.

I agree with the others; if you uninstall this program you will probably solve most of your problems. Download the free AVG scanner and run that on Windows 7.

13. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i installed without a problem, and seemingly worked fine - but all my problems disappeared after removing it...

14. rMutt

rMutt MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Ok... SEP is out.. machine seems to be running faster, no problems of explorer hanging so far...
    so, what do you use for av? avg?

15. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I have AVG free in one, and Kaspersky for Win7 beta in other - both seem to be fine...

16. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    NOD 3 and 4 work so far with 7057. I personally don't like SEP, it causes way too many false positives and the firewall doesn't work that well when you use it in a centrally managed environment. Even though the DHCP rule was allow - allow still didn't let DHCP traffic through even though it was #1 on the list.