Explorer bug. Context menu disappears sometimes.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by esio, Nov 21, 2015.

1. esio

esio MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    #1 esio, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Ok, now it's just pissing me off...

Everytime while I am in the explorer, handling files, preferably with the right-click the stupid context menu is just disappearing. Like not everytime, but often enough to get me to hate it!
    I just have to mark multiple files or folders, try to right-click it and boom! Magic happens. It disappears. Works on the second time most of the time though. I have a feeling that I am way too fast for the explorer.
    It seems to be not of a problem if I mark multiple files, wait a second or so and then try to open the context menu.

But I work with multiple files everyday and it's killing me.

No problems while I am on the desktop or something. It even doesn't matter which file it is.
    And if my memory is correct it even happened with 8.1 after a while.

Something is definitely wrong with this s**t.

Doesn't matter if clean install or not. Tried it on another computer in the house. Same problem.

2. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #2 Nucleus, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Did you run a system file check as a starting point...

Code:
    sfc /scannow

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. esio

esio MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    #3 esio, Nov 21, 2015
    (OP)
    Sure. No problems. Try it for yourself please. Mark multiple files / folders in the explorer and try to be fast for the right click. If it won't disappear on your first try it sure will after a few. You have to mark them again, otherwise it seems they have already been 'indexed'.

I always mark them with the mouse. Holding left click, drag it over the files and then right click.

Btw. indexing is already off. Doesn't help.

4. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    No problems here, can't replicate your problem, no probs multi-selecting, right clicking and choosing from context menu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 cengizhan, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    this may not be a windows 10 problem. because i had this also with windows 8.1. context menu appears and then immediately dissappears just like in when you click somewhere else. i had this sometimes a few times a day, sometimes a few times a week. mine wasnt a constant bug.

this may be caused by a program which adds some options to context menu.

6. esio

esio MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    I recorded my screen while tagging random folders files inside the windows folder.
    youtube/watch?v=0zVzF78nmBY

(Cant post links yet.)

Like I said, I also had the problem with 8.1

Only thing that isn't default in my context menu is 7-zip and I've already tried to delete that.
    Didn't help.

7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #7 Nucleus, Nov 21, 2015
  8. replicant

replicant MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I have the same problem using Office 2016.
    During install / feature change the file-explorer crashes an the desktop is dead.
    Restarting File-Explorer via taskmgr fixes the problem.

9. esio

esio MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    #9 esio, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    (OP)
    It's not even the same problem, dude. :biggrin:

Well, I may have to do a clean install and analyze my steps. Although, I think that it may be there from the beginning.

10. esio

esio MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    #10 esio, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    (OP)
    I am back and so is the problem. It seems just to came out of nowhere.
    I even set up a virtual machine and installed probably all of my software that I use on my rig, but there is no problem.(yet)
    I disabled like everything in ShellExView, so I'm pretty sure it's not about a app.

It may be some kind of index problem? Because if I wait with the rightclick, the context menu works as intended.

Okay, screw that, right now there is NO problem. The only app which is active right now is Chrome while I'm posting this.
    What the hell? ... As soon as chrome was closed the problem was there again.
    Now chrome is open and the problem is back. I'm going to kick something right now.

So probably it's not about some gpu-accelerated bug either(?), so we're back with the assumption that it may have something to do with indexing?
    Indexing is disabled aka finished.
    It's a high performance machine with an 6700k and M.2 drive for Windows and 2 HDDs for storage.

I want to get behind this. Any ideas?
    Like I said, it only happens in the windows explorer. Not on the desktop.

11. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i also have this problem from the beginning. it doesn't happen always. you right click a file. context menu comes and then immediately goes away as if you had clicked somewhere else.

12. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Suspecting this is caused by a third party program. Is the context menu okay from a clean install (no third party context menu items added)?

Have you tried one of the context menu editor type programs to disable any non Microsoft items and restart Explorer, you may need to work through any third party items one at a time.

13. esio

esio MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    So either ShellExView doesn't show everything or it's something within windows.

There are no thirdparty context menu entries on my machine anyway, besides 7-zip and I already disabled that.

I had no problems with a clean-install a few months ago. Like I said, it just came out of nowhere a few weeks back.

I've even tried various settings like changing my mouserate from my Zowie mouse from 1000 to 125hz.

Screen refreshrate from 144hz to 120hz and then 60hz.

Btw. if there is really a problem with the context menu, shouldn't it be a problem also on the desktop? It isn't. Just in the Windows Explorer.