Explorer.exe Crashes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tausifahmed, Mar 13, 2009.

1. tausifahmed

tausifahmed MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2008
    explorer.exe crashes when I try to start a Photo slide show using the windows photo gallery. Error report says its due to bad block at the disk but i also tried from different media and had same problem. need urgent help here. :(

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    Bad Blocks

First off, literally speaking, HDD bad blocks are just that: bad, i.e., physically damaged/deteriorating magnetic media, and cannot be repaired. Some people mistakenly think that these can be repaired and as proof, will tell you that they did this-that-or-the-other (often a low-level format) and voilĂ ! the bad block has been repaired - evidenced by the fact that it is no longer reported. Not so. "Repairs" do not fix bad blocks, they identify the blocks and update the HDD's bad sector table (i.e., part of the disk map) such that when the drive is formatted, the sectors with the bad blocks are ignored or hidden.

You can run CHKDSK or another proprietary prog and attempt to recover data (files) in those blocks. Can software written to those blocks be repaired - most likely not - and a reinstall is necessary.

The issue could be cause for alarm, however, as it could portend an immanent HDD failure, especially if bad blocks show up from multiple sources - as apparently in your case. If you suspect the issues resides within the OS, you can attempt to repair the OS via System File Checker (START>RUN> type - sfc /scannow>OK. The process may call for files from your install disc so I would have this in your optical drive if needed. You can also try to effect a installation repair (USING THE SECOND REPAIR OPTION - NOT THE FIRST).

Regardless of your course, be sure you backup important data in anticipation of a fatal crash.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tausifahmed

tausifahmed MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2008
    I scanned my HDD and found no bad blocks. I am doing other works using my pc very easily but explorer crashes only when I try to start a photo slide show. I replaced this using the Picasa photo viewer but I loved the slide show viewer of VISTA very much. Is there any way I can fix it. Thanks in advance.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...