Explorer loses details after removal of Cortana and Telemetry

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by StevenM, Aug 16, 2015.

1. StevenM

StevenM MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2012
    I followed the removal process described first using install_wim_tweaks to unhide packages and list them the DISM to remove the packages one by one. I removed Defender then One Drive then Cortana and Windows Search and lastly Telemetry packages. Rebooted. Then on opening Explorer windows I see that the Details columns have gone. I just get tiny icons. On refreshing the pane the details return, but on reopening they are gone again. Odd. And I have set the default view to Details.<br><br>Any suggestions on how to fix?<br><br>Thanks.

2. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    repair component store, it's an important step after removing persistent packages:

dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I don't have such problem.

Likely you have some corrupt setting on your actual account, try to create a new one.

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Another spyware problem solved, I love it when all works as expected:confused:

How to repair Windows image:
    In ADMIN Cmd Prompt type sfc /scannow may take up to 3 times
    press enter on keyboard if this finds errors try
    In ADMIN Cmd Prompt Type
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    When you use the /CheckHealth argument, the DISM tool will report whether the image is healthy, repairable, or non-repairable. If the image is non-repairable, you should discard the image and start again. If the image is repairable, you can use the /RestoreHealth argument to repair the image.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Press enter on keyboard, wait for it to finish, If this does not fix problem, then
    With ISO Media in CD/DVD tray: (The same media you installed image with) Type in ADMIN Cmd Prompt Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
    press enter on keyboard, wait for it to finish--C would be drive letter of your CD/DVD tray
    Bring up ADMIN Cmd prompt, type chkdsk /r /f , and press enter on your keyboard, then a
    Y, then reboot, it now checks your disk for errors and fixes them.
    If this does not work, sit back, relax several options now:
    Backup copy of image
    Reset/Recovery
    Reformatt partition, install ISO again
    Hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Nowadays people thinks that sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth are the magical medicines for everything.

Its the format and reinstall version of the decade.

The OP's problem is clearly a problem of the user profile, the above wouldn't fix nothing, almost certainly.

In the worst case all he have to do is to create a new user, move the documents and delete the old one.

6. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I've had multipile ocasions were /RestoreHealth has done nothing or in much worse case f***ed up whole OS. Now I never do RestoreHealth. Never ever.

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #7 lobo11, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Just sets everything back to default settings:D

Yes by all means, never use it, it cleans out wacky, crazy things people do and tries to get it back to default settings so it works like it is supposed to, and yes it may change some of the wacky things you have done.:confused:

8. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    That's what happens when you fux0r with the OS core files/features.

9. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    same, whenever someone mentions the stupid scan bla bla bla to fix things, it never does anything, I just ignore such posts/suggestions and look for other solutions.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    No, it probably can't repair what you have done, and yes it will try and set everything back to default, thus messing up some of your so called tweaks:D

11. StevenM

StevenM MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried all short of a new install. All fail. The Explorer resource problem occurs in a new user profile.So it's a core file or files gone. Too bad. I'd rather have a quiet W10 than one that leaks like a sieve...
    If I get bored with refreshing the Explorer panel the I'll do a fresh W10 install. Probably wait for SP1 ;-)

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Hence something went wrong during the image cleaning.

I have my LTSB N, with Onedrive, Cortana, Defender, Explorer, Telemetry and other things removed and it works perfectly.

13. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah like format / reinstall windows 2 times a day lol...