Explorer Network list - Some computers on local network are listed while others are not listed

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Selfsimilar, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Selfsimilar

Selfsimilar MDL Novice

May 10, 2020
    Some computers on local network do not list other computers in Explorer Network list

Every computer can ping every other computer. Every computer can access files on any other computer when another computer is added by "mapping a network" drive in Explorer

Only 2 of the computer list all of the computers on the network in the Explorer network list

Network discovery is turned on for all machines

DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, Function Discovery Provider Host, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host service are all set to Automatic and are running.

What can I do to make the list of all computers on the network appear in the MS Explorer Network list?

2. BogusByte

BogusByte MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2016
    Had the same problem.... but truth told i did not find a 100% fix... so i reinstalled the bad puters back to default....but i only have a small net of <20 boxes.....

You could try restarting restart Function Discovery Resource Publication, Function Discovery Provider Host services on the "missing" computers....

Still using \\x.x.x.x\ works.....

3. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Make sure all the computers have the network discovery and public shares turn on.

4. Selfsimilar

Selfsimilar MDL Novice

May 10, 2020
    #4 Selfsimilar, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    (OP)
    As state in my original post these features are on

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    try a setting the two machines in question with a static IP and see if they get detected.

6. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    my trubleshooting list 4 this is:
    1: make sure all computrs r "private network" profile
    2: check firewall 2 ensure all "netwrok discovery" rules r enabled
    3: set fdrespub svc to auto
    4: set fdphost svc 2 manual
    5: disable browser svc (no joke netbios needs 2 DIE)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. pinh3ad

pinh3ad MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2008
    Hi there. I believe you about the netbios. Although it's illogical. Out of curiosity, can you explain why this is the way it is? This is only the case for Windows networks, isn't it?

8. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    #8 bear_aussie, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    netbios is an ancient protcol full of holes does thins that r considerd bad netwrok practise these days (bcasts) & basicaly obsolete
    function discovery is much newer (only 15 yo !) & plays much nicer with networks
    u don't really use "netbios" on windos (not since win2k neway) but u can use its naming svc (called netbios naming svc, or nbns)
    since its obsolete & fd dose everyting it does & more kicking it out of the way is 1 less thing 2 go wrong

superlate edit: 4got 2 mention that "computer broowser" svc is windows version of nbns

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...