Exporting registry

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by allcity, Oct 21, 2013.

1. allcity

allcity MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2013
    My friend has an accounting software. She got a virus, and had to reinstall Windows XP, but the software is very complicated, and needs the old registry files in order to run, because it came with a license. Is there a way to completely transfer the registry in its entirety for only one isolated program? I tried transfering the whole Windows registry, but it ended up also transfering the virus, so that's why I need to isolate only the accounting software.

Thanks.

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Go into the HKLM and HKCU software keys and look for the company name or software name. It should have it's own key (or maybe multiple).

3. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Did she install over the original drive? If you still have the original XP install you can use either magic jelly bean or Belarc Advisor to get the license key. If you have a registry backup from the old install the key will be in there somewhere. Use Google to find the key's registry location.

4. allcity

allcity MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2013
    #4 allcity, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    (OP)
    I tried looking in the HKLM and HKCU but had no luck, because I don't think that the keys were using the same name as the software name itself. She didn't install over the original drive, and I believe it was installed on a new drive. I will try magic jelly bean, and Belarc. I have successfully transfered the entirety of the registry to the new os, but the problem is, it also transfered the virus that was in the original os. By the way, I have the Windows product key. What I am missing is the registry info for the accounting software, which includes accounting data in it. Thanks.