Extending Vista's security updates

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by z1x2c3v4, Mar 17, 2017.

1. z1x2c3v4

z1x2c3v4 MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2017
    It's a well known fact, that in less than a month, the support for Windows Vista will be dropped. But since the Server 2008 is the same core as Vista, it shouldn't be any problem to install Server 2008 critical updates. It's known that swapping the tokens.dat would do the work, but it would screw you all the components related to Vista(such as Media Center or Interactive Login) and maybe the activation also. So it's not a permanent solution. I tried to change the Kernel-ProductInfo in tokens.dat, but it only messes up more (yeah it would be so much easy). So maybe it would be easier to hack Server 2008 updates to install on Vista (it surely checks somewhere the tokens.dat).

I'm interested about your opinion. ;)

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Upgrade your OS

Why would you want to run Vista when 7, 8.x and 10 exist?

3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Because there are no free upgrades from Vista to any other windows version. You'll have to buy a new license. If you work at a repair shop, you can't just do a slic mod or put a loader on your custumer's computer

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Your logic is flawed, you also can't hack the customers OS to accept Server 2008 updates either, so I ask again, what is the point in this?

Other than being a Vista fan, there is no reason to extend it's updates when you have KMS activators and SLIC activators for 7 > 10

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    IF its one of them late vista models .. a legitimate bios update would do slic 2.1 on some oem pc's if im correct..

the free 7 upgrade offer was 6 months.. but who knows that ?
    offline oem activation is gray area :D

6. JohnHenry

JohnHenry MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2016
    I know XP is able to get a bunch of security updates for XP Embedded by changing a registry key. Don't have the time to mess with it though, just following this thread.

7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. the_soft45

the_soft45 MDL Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Actually, Windows 8 Embedded Standard is still supported until 2023, like Server 2012, is based on NT 6.2 AND has x86 updates for 8.0 fully working (I've tested them on my old x86 only 2006 laptop).

9. z1x2c3v4

z1x2c3v4 MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2017
    I've registered to the best technical board for Windows OS, allegedly, to gain technical information about the Windows Vista licensing process. As it should be understandable from my post. I really respect your care about upgrading my OS, but it's still offtopic. So there's still no progress since my first post. If you don't have a something related on topic to say, don't make a junk for this thread, please.

Let's see if the updates could be installed manually. It could be too dangerous for the OS to mess with the licensing files just to update them through WU.