Extending Windows 8 CP (yes, CP..) trial

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kinget, Mar 7, 2013.

1. kinget

kinget MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2009
    Hi all!
    Sorry for posting such a stupid (?) question, but I've search everywhere, but cannot find a simple solution.

My colleague has a mediacenter PC at home, With Windows 8 Consumer Preview (build 8250) on it.
    As you all know, the CP started shutting itself down in january, as the trial ended.
    He's been bugging me since then to fix it for him with a time stopper or equal.

For some reason, his PC is that old, that it refused to install the Release Preview of Windows 8, and also RTM due to a limitation on the cpu (at least I think it was). If anyone is interested, I can get back with the exact error message that setup was nagging about.
    For some strange reasons, the Dev. Preview and Consumer Preview worked fine!

Is there any way to register the consumer preview and "stop" this nonsense with shutting the machine down?
    I've used several "Loaders" in the passed, but not for the CP. And I can't seem to find anything for it either.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    forget it and don't waste time. XP is a nice OS for that box. period

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Nothing to find for the CP. Recommend using Win 7, as it has the same functionality to be used as a media center.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would second that. Except the different UI there isn't much difference while using Windows 7 instead of Windows 8! May your friend could try tu use the Windows 8 UI for Windows 7 if he like the look (and feeling?) that much. On the end, Windows 7 will even run much more stable than the Windows 8 CP!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    just re-build your wim file.... google the rest :rolleyes:

6. kinget

kinget MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks everyone!
    Yep, NX is the villain here..
    And he cannot unlock it.

Okay, I'll ask him to give up hope on this machine then :)

7. Agret

Agret MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Roughly 6 months after your post there was a solution developed for this:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/46840-Windows-8-CPU-Feature-Patch-(Bypass-Windows-8-CPU-feature-checks)