external drive show as "white paper" icon. help

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by catdog215, Nov 9, 2009.

1. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Window 7 Ultimate x64
    Windows 7 Loader v1.7.3
    intel Q6600 cpu
    intel dg45id motherboard
    500gb sata (master), 300gb IDE (slave), 4gb memory.

I just bought xternal hard drive. WD 1.5tb with esata, ubs. when i hook it to my pc using esata, my computer did not find the xternal drive until i go to Device Manager and manually scan, then it find. later i disconnect. 5 min later, reconnect to my pc, my pc can't find xternal drive even if i manually scan in the device manager.

Then i use usb, it found the drive but i notice the xternal drive is not an icon. it's the white paper icon.

try on a different pc using usb, the icon still show as a "white paper" icon. not those icon u see that look like a hard drive.

try on win 7 and xp pro, still the same as above.
    The hard drive came with a FAT32. I did not reformat or do anything cuz i want to hook to ps3 and ps3 only see FAT32.

Any advice?

Thx

2. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    try hooking up the hard disk and look for a certain file

ex= my external hdd is drive F:

Start>Run> "autorun.inf"

if notepad files come up that looks like this

[autorun]
    setup=XXXXX.exe

you have a script on your external disk..

to remove this simply erase the autorun.inf file
    *the autorun.inf file is hidden and considered as a protected systemfile

after you deleted the autorun.inf file, Safely Remove the hard disk and plug back in... you should be able to see the Disk Icon now instead of the white paper icon...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    virus causing to have white paper icon??

Thanks for the help. i call WD and they told me to delete all autorun that came with WD. there's a hidden autorun in my WD that cause to have a white paper icon. I went to folder perporties and uncheck hidden file and i still can't find that hidden autorun. so the WD rep ask me to d/l WD icon in there website. copy the d/l file into external hd, the file pop up asking to replace autorun. Now i can see the disc icon.

the wd rep said my pc has virus causing it to change autorun and causing to have white paper icon.

why did my pc has virus when i did a clean installation of window 7 ultimate x64? AVG did not find any virus? is it cause from window Daz 7loader or from OS win7 which i d/l from this site?

that time my pc only had win7, daz loader, java x64/x86 from java site, adobe reader, flash, shockwave from adobe site, win-rar and AVG from download.com

Any idea?

4. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Avg

1. If You Downloaded your ISO from the Windows 7 Repository and Verified the hash then the answer is the W7 installer you used is clean...

2. Daz's Loader For Windows 7 is guaranteed Clean and no malicious files whatsoever

3. Use a different anti-virus... avg is one of the worst you could get (in my experience) I would recommend other antiviruses such as Norton of McAfee
    if your going for the free ones I recommend AVAST and AVIRA both free but pretty good anti-virus/spyware software

4. Maybe the virus came from another partition or media that you plugged in your pc or maybe sites you may have visited..

5. To Prevent this from happening again make sure that all your removable media... cd's flash disks memcards external hard disks is free of virus specially the ones that is triggered with an autorun.inf file..

you could do so by going to Command prompt

START>RUN>CMD
    type in the Drive letter of the removable media
    type the command "dir/ah"
    you should see a list come up..
    carefully read the list
    if you see an Autorun.inf file then that media may be infected..

don't hesitate to contact me if you need further assistance

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...