External Hard Disk is now RAW Filesystem!!!! cant read :( :mad: Plz Help...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ~|_H3L10$_|~, May 28, 2010.

1. ~|_H3L10$_|~

~|_H3L10$_|~ MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    hey guys,
    my 4 month old external hard disk (320GB) is giving me problems.. its got converted into RAW filesystem from NTFS :( and i cant read it.. :(
    its getting detected when i connect it but when i open it it gives me this error..
    h ttp://j.imagehost.org/0530/screenshot_70_2_2.jpg
    h ttp://j.imagehost.org/0355/screenshot_72_2_2a.jpg
    thinking that it was just a damage in the tables so i used testdisk to rewrite it.. but it didnt work and i'm still having the same problems..
    h ttp://j.imagehost.org/0810/screenshot_80_2_2.jpg

Please help me recover this drive with all my data, this data is really imp for me and i dont have any other backups.. :(

2. randomboy

randomboy MDL Junior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Use a software such as R-studio(google for it) . I faced such a problem earlier with my Maxtor HD and was able to recover over 100GB of data with R-studio

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    My external did the same thing less than a month ago. I recovered some of the files with software I found on the internet, what it recovered wasn't even worth the time it took for the recovery. I'm more concerned with why it happened in the first place. I rarely move the drive, and the one time I move it this happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
  5. ~|_H3L10$_|~

~|_H3L10$_|~ MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    thanx for the reply but recovery is not an option as i dont have any other drive to copy to :( my pc drive doesnt have enough space ...

@canouna, my drive is branded by Moserbaer but actually its an " Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 " drive inside ....
    also here is my diagnostic result from Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional :( seems to be having errors in a few sectors.. :(
    h ttp://h.imagehost.org/0446/screenshot_93_2_2.jpg
    plz guide me on how to get it back to working condition and into NTFS format without loosing any data..

thank you :)

6. ~|_H3L10$_|~

~|_H3L10$_|~ MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    @ canouna, yes i did try testdisk for this, as i had mentioned in my 1st post here.. :(
    but it didnt work.. it detects my drive partition right away and also the name i had given.. i choose too convert it back to NTFS and
    after writing the tables and restarting the pc my drive still doesnt show any changes.. it remains as RAW not NTFS..

i dont understand wats wrong.. :(

7. crunzaty

crunzaty MDL Junior Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I have the same problem with my harddisk.
    Its a 1TB HDD disk
    It has 100 Gb free
    But i dont have enough place to have all my stuff on my other hard drives.
    I will try this when i get a new 1 TB HDD drive

8. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Try GetDataBack, might work.
    Also try drive on another USB port on PC. Heck try it on another PC even.
    I have seen a faulty USB cause flash drives and external drives to crap themselves.

I personally lost university cw due to a dodgy USB port in the uni computers, did not have a backup as at the time I was formatting & reinstalling windows hence it was my backup!
    It saw RAW and I was unable to format to FAT, when it did format everything was in Chinese and no files displayed where mine :s

9. crunzaty

crunzaty MDL Junior Member

Feb 25, 2010
    You should try a program called Recover my files the registrated version.
    It takes a long time but its worth it.

10. mercden1

mercden1 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Hi,
    Each 4 months i have the same problem. One of my external disks go from NTFS tor RAW. When disconnect and connect to PC, the disk is seen by the system, it assigns unit letter but can't access it.

The solution: Use chkdsk unit letter /f from cmd window. Always works for me.

Hope this is your solution.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i use ntfs.com Active@ boot disk. partition recovery.. works.

or in hirens cd.. find and mount.

or ptedit to set partition types again.

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    you have bios or hdd firmware issues... or even a bad ram stick

13. Lynda taker4

Lynda taker4 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    RAW file system problem always bothers the drive and computer users. It could be easy or difficult to fix.

The RAW file problems often could be caused by many reasons, such as virus attack, hard drive problem and even the computer operating system problems. So, if you want to fix it, you could take chances with re-formatting this drive.

But, considering the safety of your inner saved data, you are supposed to do much more things before the formatting process.
    You need to firstly restore your data back with the help of data recovery program before the formatting.

I would like to recommend you to use some RAW drive data recovery freeware that could easily retrieve your inaccessible data back completely, such as Recuva, PC Inspector File Recovery and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

Note: Do not forget to format this drive after data recovery process and see whether it could be used as before.
    Do not forget to back up all your important data on another drive in the future.