External HD issue

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Pasta88, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    #1 Pasta88, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    I have an external HD and made an image of my partition using acronis true home 2014 and it worked fine. When It was done, i wanted to see home much space it backed up. Normally I see the drive it uses (usually E) with the external HD name.

I added a new printer and drivers to it so I figured I would do another image so it would include it. Today when I plugged my external HD it said (E) local disk, which is not correct. The same thing when I attempted to do another image normally i see (usually E) with the external HD name.Today i saw my external HD it said (E) local disk, which is not correct. When i attempted to do an image I kept on getting different error and the image never worked.

What would coz my external HD to read that way when I plugged it in? Is the something I can do to the External HD so it will read the type of EHD it is, IF so, how plz?

thx

ED: same results on 2 different PCs and 2 different USB cables.

when i try to open it It says

E:\ not assessible

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

2. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    come on guys, no response? plz.

3. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #3 bludgard, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    Try uninstalling the device driver via Device Manager. Then scan for hardware changes. This should get the device back to default driver(s).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2014
    It would be reasonable to assume that an external drive with a singular partition would be tagged as E: where no other hard drives are involved except the main C: drive.

For example the main drive is C:. the DVD drive is D: and an external would be E:, this is assuming that there is no Recovery partition on the C: drive which is usually tagged as E:

Making the first image backup was fine but why make another full image backup for the sake of a few printer drivers?

What I would have done if you wished to make a backup after the printers aspects would be to dump the initial image backup and do a new one.

Just a thought.

5. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    did you have acronis format the entire drive as a backup capsule?