External HDD 10 Gb bigger than the files on it

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Padpadak, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I have some weird issue ?

I coppied 425 GB from my External HDD to my second Internal HDD.
    I compare each folder for it's size (to be sure if nothing misses while coppying)

The folder sizes are exactly the same on both HDD.
    But on the External HDD is the used size 425 Gb and on my Internal HDD just 415 Gb

So there is something om my external HDD what use 10 Gb ?
    Both are NTFS, and when I use the show protected files option I see $RECYCLE.BIN and system Volume Information.
    But both folders are empty.

Thanks in advance ;)

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    So you are comparing the space used on the external HDD compared to the folder size on your computer? The size of the drive includes the USN journal (volume change history), attribute data and a whole lot of other crud that takes up space. That could easily account for a 10GB discrepancy. You should compare the two folders. Now, if the two folders themselves show a different size, that's a little weirder. I'm assuming you aren't using file compression on your second internal HDD? What you could do is highlight all the files in the folder on the external drive, and see their space usage, and do the same on your internal drive. Also compare the number of files tallied. If the tally size is different doing this, then there are either files that didn't copy, or some didn't copy correctly...

3. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Another thing that can affect this is a difference in cluster size.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I compared each folder and subfolder (also the number of files)they are on both HDD exactly the same so the copy was correcly.

5. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Is the difference in cluster size not depend between FAT32 and NTFS ?

I coppied again the same files from my external HDD to another Extenal HDD the files are again coppied correcly and again the same difference in size.
    So the internal HDD and the second HDD have the same files and the same disk space, so it must has somethis to do with the first external HDD.

Is it a possibility to format the External HDD and then copy back the files (from the internal hdd or second HDD) ?

What is a good way or program to format propperly ?

6. lnstevens1976

lnstevens1976 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Older hard drives have 512 byte sectors and newer Advanced Format drives have 4k sectors. The physical sector size on a hard drive could affecct how much space it "appears" to take up.